Hydraulic brake booster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulic brake booster.

Has anyone experience of using e28/e34/e32 etc. hydraulic brake booster on e30?

Pros:

Lighter pedal feel.

Conns:

Heavier
    More complex
    Expensive
    Maybe it draws some hp's all the time, since it add the drag to PS pump?

Add your on the list.

I got e28 unit realy chep, and I'm considering if I should install it to my 318i.
    Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
    BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
    BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
    BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

I can't say anything about it in an E30 but before you put it in do this: http://aaron.aussiefiverdriver.com/h...ain%20seal.htm

My E28 was emptying its PS fluid completely about every 2 days once it got cold out.

Comment

Ian Haynes basically pioneered this setup. His is the template to follow if you wanna do it right

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
      RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by Ety View Post
        I can't say anything about it in an E30 but before you put it in do this: http://aaron.aussiefiverdriver.com/h...ain%20seal.htm

My E28 was emptying its PS fluid completely about every 2 days once it got cold out.
        Thanks, I sure will do that if I go with hydro booster.

BTW: models sold to cold climate use ATF instead on CHF on PS.

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
        Ian Haynes basically pioneered this setup. His is the template to follow if you wanna do it right
        Link anyone? I'm not a google person myself and search came with no results.
        Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
        BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

I do not want to rain on your parade, but why would you do that? The system is more complex, requires more maintenance, and doesn't allow as much brake modulation because of the over-assist.

The only "raison d'être" of this swap would be if you installed a Euro S50B30 or S50B32 and need to clear the intake plenum. Obviously it is feasable. But is it adding anything?
          Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
            I do not want to rain on your parade, but why would you do that? The system is more complex, requires more maintenance, and doesn't allow as much brake modulation because of the over-assist.

The only "raison d'ĂȘtre" of this swap would be if you installed a Euro S50B30 or S50B32 and need to clear the intake plenum. Obviously it is feasable. But is it adding anything?
            I have no single reason to do the install, just thinking if it would be good or not, since I have all the parts.
            Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
            BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Hey Rocla. I am sure it would be very nice to try it and see how different it feels. As you mentionned initially, the pedal will be lighter from the over assist. Which is okay driving around town. Not so good for modulation for spirited driving. If you do go ahead, please show us some pictures of your install. We will all appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                Hey Rocla. I am sure it would be very nice to try it and see how different it feels. As you mentionned initially, the pedal will be lighter from the over assist. Which is okay driving around town. Not so good for modulation for spirited driving. If you do go ahead, please show us some pictures of your install. We will all appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
                My original idea was to alter the pivot point of the "brake rod"(sorry I don't know the real names for the parts) in pedal and use big MC to get minmal pedal travel and decent pedal effort.

As you said, hydro booster can usually be found on comfort oriented cars.
                Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Today I learned that the e28 booster itself is a direct bolt on to e30 firewall and pedal assembly.
                  Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                  BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
                    Today I learned that the e28 booster itself is a direct bolt on to e30 firewall and pedal assembly.
                    Yup. This swap has often been used in Europe when installing an s50B30/32 in an e30.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

You really need to use the E23 7 series version of the booster. It's overall length is the same, but some of it's length is inside the car. This helps clearance between the end of the master cylinder and the intake boot.

Here's a comparison.

Ian.

Comment

Working...
                      X