bypassing brake pad light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bypassing brake pad light.

so i changed my brakes and a. didn't buy to sensors and b. couldn't replace the old ones. now instead of taking out my cluster and ripping out the bulb, can i just run a wire from one side of the sensor to the other and seal it up???

You can tie the 2 wires together, wrap them in electrical tape (or heatshrink) and the light wont come on again. Really though, I would get the sensors and just zip tie them out of the way so they never get touched. They are pretty cheap.

Will
    RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
    Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
    DaveCN = Old Man
    My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
    If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Yep, eaither one will work.
      Originally posted by cabriodster87
      "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
      Originally posted by Kershaw
      i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

so the sensor doesn't need to be on the pad?
        cool...i'll sort it out this weekend.

Comment

In order to reset the light you might have to put the key into the ON position for about 2 to 3 minutes. Once it goes out, the light is reset.

Comment

Originally posted by Jscotty View Post
            In order to reset the light you might have to put the key into the ON position for about 2 to 3 minutes. Once it goes out, the light is reset.
            i'm not talking about the service indicator light...i'm talking about hte brake lining like...the in between the P and the !

Comment

Yeah, once you replace the sensors you do have to "reset" the light in the way Jscotty described. I don't see why you wouldn't just leave the system intact...
              sigpicFormer professional wrench thrower.
              Current:
              1988 325is S52
              Former:
              2008 Sparkling Graphite M3 Sedan(victim of home ownership)
              1988 M5
              1996 328is

Comment

Fuck your cluster is sexy.
                Originally posted by cabriodster87
                "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                Originally posted by Kershaw
                i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

not his cluster, just a photo. Guaranteed.
                  Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
                    not his cluster, just a photo. Guaranteed.
                    and if i was a billionaire i would send you $500.
                    i'll just rig something up on the weekend to by pass it.
                    my old sensors didn't even go off yet they were basically one with the pads. couldn't even get them off.

Comment

First, the advice to reset the sensor by turning on the ignition key for 2-3 minutes is bogus. The e36 and later have computer controlled brake lining warning lights. The one in the e30 is simple electronics with no memory.

The system is easy to diagnose and fix if you have the right information. The usual failures are worn through wiring caused by incorrectly routed cables or missing clips, or a bad resistor on the instrument cluster.

Here is my write-up

Brake lining indicator light

Summary: The light is triggered either by the wire grounding (usually
                      against the brake rotor as the sensor is partially worn away) or the
                      wire breaking (usually as the sensor is further worn away). If the
                      sensors are fine, re-flow the solder on the instrument cluster resistor.

Operation

Most e30s with four wheel disk brakes have a brake wear monitoring
                      system. The system uses two replaceable sensors to monitor the front
                      and rear brake pad wear. The sensors are mounted in a notch on the
                      outer edge of the inboard brake pad on the left front and right rear.
                      As the pad wears, the sensor faces are ground away with the brake pad
                      friction material.

The sensors are simply a wire embedded in an insulating material. The
                      brake wear circuit is similar to alarm system wiring: the indicator
                      light illuminates when the sensor wire is either grounded or is broken.
                      When a sensor face first starts to wear against the rotor, the wire is
                      initially exposed and grounds against the rotor only when braking.
                      Later the wire is worn through, breaking the circuit. Thus the lamp is
                      initially illuminated only when braking, and later stays illuminated.

The sensor circuit is fed +12V through a 220 ohm resistor on the
                      instrument cluster circuit board, through the right rear sensor, then
                      through the left front sensor, then back to the circuit on the cluster.

If the wear indicator circuit doesn't work and the sensors are fine, the
                      most common source of problems is the 220 ohm resistor. This can be
                      easily tested without taking apart the instrument cluster. Turn on the
                      ignition to power the circuit and illuminate the wear indicator.
                      Measure the voltage and available current on the right rear sensor
                      connector. One of the contacts should read +12V, and provide 55-65 mA
                      to ground. The contact is the blue/white wire, not the green/yellow,
                      but it's trivial to probe both rather than look for the wire color. Use
                      the brake rotor as a clean ground.

If you aren't getting voltage or the correct current, the problem is
                      very likely on the cluster circuit board. Remove the board and re-flow
                      the solder around the 220 ohm resistor. This resistor is mounted next
                      to the C1 blue connector on the PC board. It sticks off of the board on
                      long leads. There are on-line pictures to locate the resistor, and you
                      can confirm the correct part by looking for the red-red-brown color bands.

This might sound daunting if you haven't soldered before, but this is the
                      easiest soldering task ever. Let the soldering iron warm up for a few
                      minutes, then touch the soldering iron tip to each resistor lead for two
                      to five seconds. You should see the solder surface change texture as it
                      melts, filling in the cracks that have grown over time.

Add a dab of silicone to mechanically support the resistor so that the
                      solder doesn't crack again. Don't cover the resistor, as it has to
                      dissipate almost 1 watt of heat if the sensor wire is touching ground.

That heat is likely why the resistor is mounted so far off the board to
                      start with -- the designers didn't want to use a expensive 1.25W
                      resistor, when a common 1/4W resistor was adequate most of the time.
                      But they didn't consider that worn-through sensors and holding the
                      brakes on for an extended period (e.g. stop-and-go traffic) are
                      correlated. The resistor is at 4X its power rating, and the only place
                      for the heat to dissipate is through the resistor leads. Now you have
                      the mechanical leverage from mounting the resistor far from the board
                      "working" the solder combined with thermal expansion cycles from the
                      overheating. No wonder there is cracking!

Worst-case power analysis for the 220ohm sensor supply resistor.
                      220ohm, 10% tolerance = 198-ohms, 5% tolerance = 209-ohms
                      Nominal 12V power is typical 13.8V operating, 15V hot load.
                      Power = V*I = V*V/R
                      Worst-case 15V*15V/198ohms = 1.14W
                      Worst-case, 5% 14.4V*14.4V/209ohms = 1.00W
                      Typical/nominal 13.8*13.8/220 = 0.87W
                      Design safety worst case 18V*18V/198ohms = 1.64W
                      So the designer should have specified at least a 1.25W part.

Note: I previously assumed that the lamp check was done by providing the
                      sensor power through the unloader relay. That would test the lamp drive
                      circuitry as well as the lamp. Instead the lamp check is done with a
                      diode isolated feed from the start circuit.

While you have the cluster out, with soldering iron at hand, re-flow the
                      solder around the temperature meter mounting hole. One of the contacts
                      is through the sleeve around the brass mounting stud. The stud pulls
                      the sleeve into the soft solder on circuit board to make contact. Over
                      time the solder deforms, resulting in bad contact. Tightening the
                      mounting nut will help for a bit, but building up the solder is a longer
                      term fix. Better, solder on a thin brass washer.

Comment

I been refurbishing an '88 325is I just acquired and this wknd while working the brakes I discovered that the right rear pad lining sensor connector on the chassis side was ripped off and just hanging on the strut. I have not been able to find a replacement plug to rewire so here is the question:

How do I go about bypassing this. Does connecting the wires together fix the issue as mentioned earlier? I could make my own set or connectors but that would mean rewring a new sensor everytime.

Anyways, what do you all suggest?
                        sigpic
                        - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

Comment

If you want to retain the pad wear functionality splicing in the connector from a wrecked car would be the solution. Otherwise shorting the wire will turn the light off.

If you'll pay the postage I'll mail you the connector that I cut off my track rat night before last. PM me if you are interested.
                          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

rede30 offered his connector so I mailed him the $. THanks for the offer.
                            sigpic
                            - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X