Brake pedal feel - 1st softer, then harder pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pedal feel - 1st softer, then harder pedal

I'm going to be ordering all new oem lines (SS would be nice but not a necessity) and front pads/rotors. I just picked up this car and the brake pedal seems to engage lower and a touch softer on the first pedal stomp, then if I pump it once the second pedal pressure is nice and firm and a little bit higher. On that second pedal press the car brakes great, so for the time being I give the pedal a quick pump while braking.

The pedal stays firm and doesn't go to the floor, fluid is fine but I'm sure it's old.

Think this may be from a Master cylinder going bad or just the state of the older brakes and fluid, or normal for the car.

1991 318iS
    '74 2002 - Build blog at
    nomads2002.blogspot.com

sounds more like air in the lines.

bleed the brake fluid and it should be better.
    R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Give it a nice bleed for sure after you install your new parts. If that does not help, I would start looking at the master.
      Originally posted by cabriodster87
      "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
      Originally posted by Kershaw
      i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

I need to bleed mine as well. Doesnt take very long at all and should fix your problem.
        Back to my roots

Comment

Working...
        X