Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS difficulties....

Hey,

I have an 87 325IS and am having the "orange ABS light" problems. (I've had the light on since I bought the car over 2 years ago.)

Well, I've taken the time to take out EVERY ABS wheel sensor and thoroughly cleaned them and the entire hub/gear. Wires looked fine, nothing broken.

I have also replaced the ABS computer with one I got from the junkyard, and the light grey/silver box that sits above it (it does something with the ABS-some relay).

Anyway, light still on. Does the hydraulic unit ever go? that's the last thing I need to replace, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. I took the cover off of it and the wires all look tight and good.

Any advise? Is there anything else that would make the ABS fail?

Paul

There's a good chance that one or more of the wheel speed sensors might be bad. A simple check that might turn up a bad sensor is to compare the resistance of all four sensors. If one is markedly different it would be suspect.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I will try that this week.... hopefully its just one of the sensors...Thanks!

I'll let you know how it goes..

Paul

Comment

Found the problem - it was the fuse/relay that sits on top of the ABS computer.... i have heard almost all e30's ABS fuses blow... especially when you jump a battery or something... I just soldiered in a piece of wire inside the can and fixed it... i know this isn't the correct way, but it works and if I blow my computer its 20-30 bucks at a junkyard, so no biggie.

Paul

Comment

what was the part number for the ABS rellay... I just got one for mine and all it does is blow the dash fuse. Either the PO has rigged the wiring for the ABS also, no surprises there... or I bought the wrong thing.
          sigpic
          - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

Comment

Working...
          X