Front strut / control arm removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front strut / control arm removal

I'm tryin to take off my front struts b/c I am putting on some bilstein sports. I removed the tierod ends but the conrtol arms aren't wanting to come out. Yes I took the nut off :D

So I've shot a ton of wd40 on there, and hit it w/ a hammer for who knows how long. Any advice?
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

well dont hit it with a hammer unless it is a rubber mallet.... i learned that the hard way messed up the threads then had to re thread... tryout some PB Blaster on it, let it sit for a wile (The longer the better) and then try a few wacks with a rubber mallet
    Dan Zickel
    1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

yeah I tried 2 diff rubber mallets, one of those cheapo solid ones and a dead blow.
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

air hammer ftmfw

i left the nut on a little, and beat the crap out of that with the air hammer, and it came off

Comment

ye olde pickle fork!

also I find leaving the tie rod on, and removing the control arm first helps a bit...

Comment

Pickle forks are good, but they tend to rip the ball joint boots.
            Originally posted by cabriodster87
            "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
            Originally posted by Kershaw
            i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

the forks sure do but I reaplaced the tierod's and all the ball joints anyway ;)

Comment

ball joint puller...??

Like this:
                :: PNW Crew ::
                '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by backtrail69 View Post
                  ball joint puller...??

Like this:
                  You can rent this for *free* at Advance Auto Parts (front end service kit)
                  Or you can leave the nut about flush with the top of the screw (a little below since the control arm screw has a bit of threadless on the top and you want to concerve the nut), twist the strut clockwise so that you have a perfect shot (tie it with a zip tie if you must) and hammer it like a man...i just did it two days ago

if you mess the nut by hitting at an angle well that's too bad, you can get anotherone for mad cheap.
                  Originally posted by Febi Guibo View Post
                  ye olde pickle fork!

also I find leaving the tie rod on, and removing the control arm first helps a bit...
                  ...never use this unless you must 'cause it sucks having to replace ball joints
                  No more e30s for me.
                  88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                  88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                  91 BMW 325i [sold]
                  86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
                  X