brake flairing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake flairing question

I am running all new brake lines in the rear of my e30 but I don't want to have to replace the line that runs all the way from front to rear so my plan was to run a new 12" line off the t and than splice it into the original line that runs front to rear. My question is if I flair the 12" line can I use any type of flair or only the bubble flair which I believe is used everywhere else. I can't find a bubble flair kit so I am hoping the flair that I would be able to make with the CT kit will work fine. I hope I made this understandable. Thanks a lot
    Photoshop by O 16581 72452 5

I ran into a similar situation while installing braided lines to the rear of my car... the steel lines were corroded and one broke so I had to cut it and flare a new bubble on its end. After researching the net and the library the conclusion I came up with is that the first flare done by an "American" double flare tool is equivalent to an european double flare. Basically make sure to get a good clean tube cut. Deburr the cut good to get rid of the work hardened material and do only the first flare using the double flair tool. I rented one from Autozone... You could also but them. My line repair using only the fist step of a double flair tool came out good. No leaks and it still holding.

Here is the best link I could find: http://www.dimebank.com/BrakePlumbing.html

HEre is a quote "The bubble flare is used with a male swivel nut, and seals at the bottom of a drilled and tapped hole, with a nice angled bottom. While it can usually be resealed, it has a limited lifetime - there's no good way to get back the deformation that was crushed out for the first seal, short of remaking the flare from scratch."

"Making such a flare is easy: if you are in possession of a standard 45 degree double flaring tool, the bubble flare is what results after the first half of the operation. Simply stop there, and you have the bubble flare which will seat nicely at the bottom of the hole. If you continue, inverting the form tool and finishing the job, you then have the more familiar double flare used by Girling and the US automotive industry. "
    sigpic
    - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

Comment

Awesome man thanks a lot
      Photoshop by O 16581 72452 5

Comment

Working...
      X