Upper ball joint bolt removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper ball joint bolt removal

What do you guys do to get this out? On the pass side, I have a 22m wrench on it, but can't turn it, and even if I do, there isn't much room. Am I just a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles, or is there a better way? It is in a tough spot as any of you who have done this know...
    Originally posted by chileelky
    amaze about the enthusiasm e30 generate

I put a shorty open wrench on the nut (wrench #1). Then stick a larger one in through the PS rack and put it on the end of the shorty wrench, right before the bulg of the end of the it (wrench #2). That way it won't slip off when you hit it. Wrench #2 should be parallel to the ground. Now hit the end on wrench #2 w/ your BFH. A few hits and it should be on its way spinning.

Its hard to explain but I hope that helps.
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Thanks I kinda figured that but I guess I'll need to go buy the shorty as the 22 I have is hella long. Any problems making it tight enough on the way back in?

Comment

you should be alright putting it back in. Get yourself some new locking nuts from bmw and I doubt they will come off if you get em pretty snug.
        ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Word. I'm doing new control arms w/bushings, tie rods, and it looks like I should buy some new dogbones too. Chasing a clunk up front and decided to just do it all. The new stuff came with new locknuts. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X