Changing brake pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing brake pads

Well, Its time to replace the brake pads. I have bought some and now am planning on doing it this weekend. There is one big problem...

This will be my first brake job and I don't really know what I need to do. I helped with my bros and we got the fronts on but where unable to do the back. I was told by a guy at Autozone (yes, Autozone) that I need some special tool to depress the parking brake..or something like that.

I dont' have a Bentley Manual yet, which probably has a step by step to change brake pads. So is there a step by step on the internet some where? I didn't find anything on R3V when I searched "changing brake pads" or even "changing" in the brake section.

Could you please help me out with any tips or a url to change them.

Yes this is serious, if you dont' have anything productive to say (and I will accept the answer, take it to a pro) please stay out of the thread. I want to make sure I do these things right so my car stops.

Thanks
    DJ

Take the wheel off. The top of each caliper has a 13mm bolt that threads into a 15mm bolt. Take out the 13 while holding the 15. Flop the caliper down and take the old pads out. Press the piston in and install the new pads. Flop the caliper back up and put the 13 back in.

Oh, and go buy a bentley!

Comment

you have 3000 posts and you dont have a bently?... or have done your own brakes?

Comment

Drive it to Indy and buy me a beer, I would be happy to show you how easy of a job it is;)

Comment

Unless you are planning on changing the e-brake shoes, the job is virtually the same as doing the fronts.
          Current Cars
          2014 M235i
          2009 R56 Cooper S
          1998 M3
          1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by xLibelle View Post
            you have 3000 posts and you dont have a bently?... or have done your own brakes?
            Nope and nope, haven't had any major problems with the car since I have owned it.

Thanks for the info guys. Further advice is always welcome but I think I will be able to do it with the second post, if its true.

Comment

One more question:
              How can I tell if I need to use the shims that came with the pads? Thanks

Comment

You do. They are to prevent rattle and squealing.

Comment

1. Unscrew cap on resevoir
                  2. Take wheel off
                  3. Caliper has either one 7mm allen mounting bolt, or the 13/15mm combo spoken of before. If you have the 13/15mm combo, take the bottom one out first. If you dont, the caliper can swing down and bend the bottom pin causing big problems. Ask me how I know. Remove caliper.
                  4. (if not doing rotors, skip to step 10)
                  5. The caliper mounting bracket has 2 19mm (or 16/18mm) bolts holding it on. Remove those and the bracket itself.
                  6. Rotor has a 5mm allen screw holding it in. It would be smart to remove this while caliper is still on while someone holds the brakes so you can get leverage to remove the set screw for the rotor. Remove rotor. If it wont pull off, thread in a lugbolt a couple threads and wack the back of the rotor with a big hammer.
                  7. Put antiseize around the hub and install new rotor.
                  8. Tighten set screw.
                  9. Reinstall caliper bracket with the 2 19mm (or 16/18mm) bolts.
                  10. Push calipers' pistons back with big channel lock pliers (water pump pliers), or a big C-clamp
                  11. Set new outside pad on the bracket next to rotor.
                  12. Install brake lining sensor into pad and push connector through caliper.
                  13. Install inside pad into piston of caliper.
                  14. Install caliper over new pads and rotor. Tighten the caliper mounting bolts. They will be the 7mm allen ones, or the 13/15mm combo.
                  15. Reinstall wheel.
                  16. Remove excess brake fluid and tighten brake resevoir cap.
                  17. Pump brakes.
                  18. Bed in the pads. Drive about 40-45mph and brake hard to 20mph, drive a little bit, and repeat 5-6 times. Try not to activate ABS, but brake right at the threshold.

Will
                  RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                  Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                  DaveCN = Old Man
                  My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                  If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist View Post
                    3. Caliper has either one 7mm allen mounting bolt, or the 13/15mm combo spoken of before. If you have the 13/15mm combo, take the bottom one out first. If you dont, the caliper can swing down and bend the bottom pin causing big problems. Ask me how I know. Remove caliper.
                    Just hold the caliper with your left hand and gently set it down so it can rest on the bracket. You only need to take one (the top one) of the 13mm bolts out at all...

Comment

Thanks again guys for the help. Just got done. The Haynes manual helped but I still need to get the famous bentley for the new 335 coming next week

Comment

Working...
                      X