Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epoxy Coated Calipers

Hi,

I just received a set of calipers I sent out to be (high temp epoxy) coated. They look great, but I noticed the piston bores were coated as well. Anyone have any info vis a vis leaks etc. with this process? I was wondering whether or not I should hone the coating off the bores or not.

Ron Kirkland

Hone it, if you can that is. I can't believe a place would coat the inside of a caliper. The difference in thickness will cause problems as the piston won't fit correctly with the seals.

Comment

soda blast em?
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

thats fucking dumb. anyone with any mechanical inclination would have known thats a no no.

Comment

I was surprised to see that they did that too.

Ron

Comment

I'd be pissed. Does this company claim they to calipers all the time? Or was this a new thing for them.

Did they say anything about what prep work they do, and don't do?
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I wasn't supposed to be the first. Here is a link to their site. I did tell them that I would be rebuilding the calipers after they coated them. They did a nice job of masking everything except the piston bores.

欧洲杯下单app·(中国)中国有限公司官网【哈宝激励推荐】创立于2003年,秉持“商以载道、成人达己”的经营理念,专注于跨国科技、文化园区建设,着力构建“全球孵化、创新加速”的国际科技文化交流及创新合作平台,目前国内在北京建立运营了五家国家级孵化器,在天津、杭州、佛山、无锡、嘉兴等地建立了五家国际创新中心,海外运营了多家科技文化园区,构建了国际化创新创业生态网络和全球孵化加速体系。欧洲杯下单app·(中国)中国有限公司官网【哈宝激励推荐】系一家在上海证券交易所主板上市的企业,欧洲杯下单app·(中国)中国有限公司官网创始于1993年,历经26年的发展,形成了以皮革的研发、制造与销售为核心,集海外采购、国内加工、全球销售的产业链发展模式。公司产品运用于汽车座椅及内饰、各式鞋履、家私等,在行业内率先建立了汽车革、鞋面革、家私革三大产品线,产品链条完整,能够进行个性化定制、柔性化生产【

Comment

Unbelievable that they would paint the bores. Powder coat is a durable finish but it goes on thick. Your pistons won't fit into the bores - just try it and you'll see.

Looking at thier website isn't reassuring. The fourth image shown is supposed to be a BMW rim. They painted the center bore.

BMW rims are hub-centric. That wheel isn't going back on until the powder coat is removed from the bore.

I had two BMW motorcycle wheels powder coated on a new bike I bought back in 1992. They painted the bore and I had to take them to a machine shop to remove the coating - it was that hard!

Their site says they want their cuatomers to be happy. Call them.

Comment

I checked with them and the owner says they masked the bores. The pistons do fit. Perhaps it was some light overspray...I'll hone it and see what happens. So, who has a recommendation for a hone...never done it on a brake caliper. Anything special?

Ron

Comment

Working...
                  X