replacing subframe mounts, what else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing subframe mounts, what else?

I'm replacing my subframe bushings (this weekend I realized they don't even exist any more), I've never done this before, so I'm not really sure what you remove/reinstall.

What else should I purchase to replace while I'm under there?

'88 325is
    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
    BMWCCA 380364

Replace the brake lines at the subframe (use new rubber ones or go for the stainless steel braided ones) and replace the control arm (trailing arm, whatever...) bushings.

Prepare yourself for a fair amount of work, although you may get lucky if your car has only ever lived in the South. Both of the 'nipples' on my subframe bushings sheared off when I pulled them, leaving me with a few hours of work to remove the stub left up in the body.

Coat the nipple of the new bushing with liberal quantities of antisieze, just in case you ever have to remove them again.
    John in MD - 1991 318is
    190k miles and still rolling!

Comment

Funny thing is that I was replacing the both pairs of rear brake lines when I noticed I didn't have subframe bushings.

'88 325is
      BMWCCA 380364

Comment

As stated already, replace your brake lines, trailing arm bushings, and subframe bushings. If you want to, now is the time to have the IE camber and toe adjusters welded onto your subframe.

-Erik

Comment

Hey Jordan, when exactly are you gonna do this? I can come by and maybe help? I've done those on my car... as people said, it's a FAIR amount of, manly, sweat and creativity ;) might wanna look at trailing arm bushings also!
          sigpic

Comment

From what I've been told, it's around an 8-9 hour job start to finish. I wondering if I should do this, as my car has over 300,000 miles on it, and I'm already upgrading to C3motorsport coilovers. I was planning on swapping out the differential and control arm/trailing arm bushings for urethane, but am hesitant on upgrading the subframe bushings due to the level of difficulty of the task. Does anyone recommend upgrading them, or should I be fine leaving them as is?
            sigpic
            An unlucky E30 I came across in Rotterdam, Holland

Comment

8-9 hours?! Are you serious?
              At the shop I work at I've seen someone replace just the subframe bushings in about an hour. Do one side at a time and you don't have to drop anything. Cut the bushing out and then use a file or something to cut the bushing outer metal housing and bend it so you can get it out. Then use a jack to push the new bushing in.
              My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
              There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                At the shop I work at I've seen someone replace just the subframe bushings in about an hour. Do one side at a time and you don't have to drop anything. Cut the bushing out and then use a file or something to cut the bushing outer metal housing and bend it so you can get it out. Then use a jack to push the new bushing in.
                Yeah...that's what the guy at treehouse racing said. Go figure.
                sigpic
                An unlucky E30 I came across in Rotterdam, Holland

Comment

Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30ka View Post
                  Hey Jordan, when exactly are you gonna do this? I can come by and maybe help? I've done those on my car... as people said, it's a FAIR amount of, manly, sweat and creativity ;) might wanna look at trailing arm bushings also!
                  You have PM.

'88 325is
                  BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                    Wow, more info on this. What do you cut the bushing out with?

'88 325is
                    BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Cut the rubber so that the middle of the bushing can be pulled out. Use a thin hack saw blade or something. Then use a file or said hack saw blade and cut through the metal outer shell that the bushing sits in and you can bend it and it will slide out. Pretty simple, and no need to make smelly rubber smoke.
                      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

check your pm's
                        sigpic

Comment

Took about 8 hours, but me and PУCCKAЯ_e30ka got it done. Ended up taking out the subframe and using a metal saw to cut a slit all the way through the length of the metal housing, which for some reason gave it enough play to come out with the persuasion of a sledgehammer.

'88 325is
                          BMWCCA 380364

Comment

and a tow hook ;) .... did they sit in more?
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X