Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap brake upgrade possibilities ?

Hello guys.

Long story short, i'm building turbo e30 and am looking for *some* brake upgrade. I have decided against 5 lug swap because it is kinda expensive, and here in NZ motorsport (wither e30m3 or e36m3) parts are extremely rate (read very expensive). Such conversion would cost me as much as another e30.

So i've been thinking how else i can sort out brakes.

theoretical question. does bigger disc, with the same caliper be better ? theoretically bigger disc will tolerate more heat, as long as pad will hold (i can run performance pads)

theoretically it would be easy to move stock caliper more outward with a simple adapter, if i can get off-the shelf brake discs with same hat height and larger diameter = t3h win.

otherwise i'll be looking for a larger 2 pot caliper from a large sedan, try to adapt that and try match some oem off-the shelf disc...

any other smart ideas ?

If you are going to track the car, larger rotors might be indicated. But for ordinary street use, even with a turbo, that might not be necessary. Cooling ducts to the front rotors and high performance, or even track pads, may suffice.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Comment

thanks for replies so far.

not exacly what i was looking for, but will consider those options.

i'll make a trip to the wreckers and try to sus something out....

i'll update.

Comment

You might want to look into RX7 brakes:

Comment

Working...
          X