Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i use brembo calipers from e36 m3 bbk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i use brembo calipers from e36 m3 bbk?

i am swapping the full suspension off a e36 m3 and it has 355mm 2 piece rotors and 4 piston brembo calipers. i know it will all bolt on but i don't want to run 18s that are needed to clear them.

my question is can i buy different carriers and use stock size, cross drilled m3 rotors with the fancy 4 piston brembo calipers so i can just run some 17s?

if its at all possible, then i'm sure its been done before. so which carrier would i need?

you can fit certain 17s around the brembo GT brakes... there is about 3 hairs of clearance but the fit....

Comment

i wonder if bbs rs or the ones on the right will clear them?

BUT still is it possible to run that caliper with a smaller rotor and different carrier?

Comment

Originally posted by sanya View Post
        i wonder if bbs rs or the ones on the right will clear them?

BUT still is it possible to run that caliper with a smaller rotor and different carrier?

I've actually got that EXACT set-up on the front of my project car . (see sig)
        You can run 17's all day long but the problem is most will require spacers and since the e36 offset is used ...adding spacers they tend to stick out too far for practical reasons .

Of the wheels you just posted the M-Contours will actually clear without any spacers .....the DSII's will need at least a 15mm spacer to clear the caliper .

Your origina post you ask what carrier do you need ?
        Well you'll have to custom make a set to use with the stock rotors for your plans .
        Should be pretty easy to fab up using the current carriers you have.
        Although with that being said ...I think its a bad idea to try and use stock M3 rotors with those calipers .
        First off the pad will not get full bite (?) of the rotor and secondle those 2-piece rotors are frigging thick as hell versus the M3 ones .

Best bet is to get custom sized wheels where tyou can control the offset and width .
        I've currently got a few sets of 17's that clear without spacers and a few sets of 18's that also work.
        Also have two sets of DSII's that will need spacers but I'm hoping to use those as auto-x/de wheels .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

good info. thanks man. how are the stock m3 brakes on e30s? the car is going to be a daily driver with some spirited driving weekends and maybe take it to the track every once in a while.
          i'm thinking these will be a bit overkill for me and not worth the wheel fitment issues.

will 16s fit over the stock sized m3 rotors/stock calipers?

Comment

Stock e30 brakes are plenty .......as long as you have the the right pads .
            There are plenty of e30 racing series across the globe that all use stock brakes .

E36 M3 brakes require 17" wheels to clear the calipers ........unless they are spaced waaaay out .

Do you currently own the Movit/Brembo brake kit ?

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

yea they are mine. they were on the m3 that i'm going to part out and use for my e30 project.

i guess i'll try to sell them + stock m3 brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                I've actually got that EXACT set-up on the front of my project car . (see sig)
                You can run 17's all day long but the problem is most will require spacers and since the e36 offset is used ...adding spacers they tend to stick out too far for practical reasons .
                Some 17x9" (or 8.5") LTW-5's would be the ticket if 17's clear a 14" BBK

Spacers only make them stick out too far if you don't have enough camber :P

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                Your origina post you ask what carrier do you need ?
                Well you'll have to custom make a set to use with the stock rotors for your plans .
                Should be pretty easy to fab up using the current carriers you have.
                Although with that being said ...I think its a bad idea to try and use stock M3 rotors with those calipers .
                First off the pad will not get full bite (?) of the rotor and secondle those 2-piece rotors are frigging thick as hell versus the M3 ones .
                I wouldn't recommend that path either, IIRC the Big Reds need to be machined also to fit on a 13" rotor let alone a 328mm E46 or 315mm E36 M3 rotor.
                Have a look at them, I don't think you could take 1/2" of either or 1/4" off both, easily.
                292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                  X