Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydraulic E-brake. Massive, please contribute!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulic E-brake. Massive, please contribute!

Alright, so my cable e-brake isnt making me happy anymore. It used to work great, but I cracked a shoe on it. Since my ebrake has been good to me, I decided to replace the shoes and got the spring kit as well to get back into action with it.

I must have stretched the cables badly enough, because now even with a fresh emergency brake setup (and a tightly adjusted handle), the e-brake still feels awfully lazy. I pulled the rear rotors out and adjusted the shoes to the point that they are a hair string away from the rotors, but still feels sluggish when I use it.

I'm looking around and I see tons of kits for hydraulic units that popped into the market, so many that it seems that it's common sense to put one together. However, I have seen a few guys put together their setup, and that didn't work out well.

The more I research, the more and more poor results I see. I see many companies with hydraulic ebrakes that behave just as my current one does: lazy and ineffective. Namely K-Sport, which sells the "drifting hydraulic ebrake".

I was involved in trying to better that K-Sport system at the track with the driver who had it on his car, and we were unsure whether the master cylinder used was simply garbage quality or whether the lines had something to do with it. We thought the T-fitting that was distributing the brake fluid between the two rear brakes was acting as a restrictor, hence the "lazyness" of the ebrake.

I'm really looking for something that'll lock up that rear end on command. Anyone has any suggestions on how to accomplish that?

Discuss,

- Erick
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Hi Erik

Most decent rally cars will run an hydraulic ebrake. An hydraulic ebrake is basically an inline master cylinder plumbed in serial between the front master and the rear calipers. remember that hydraulic brakes are much stronger than a cable and the small brake shoe. It will also allow you to remove all that bulky ebrake mechanism.

K-Sport is not known for the quality of their products. Their brake kits have a lot of pretentions. But they are cheapy stuff. I'd suggest to check other makers such as perhaps AP Racing for a proper ebrake master set-up, with a push lever configuration.

Also, bad comments on the net might come from unproperly installed and tuned hydraulic systems.

Also remember that stck braks can be lazy when not properly bled, or pads getting thin. Rally cars use fixed calipers with moving pistons, creating a more direct feel. The rear splitter allos to lock wheels on a standard brake system. In o way it will change for you hydraulic ebrake. Remember that with a stock brake system, the pedal travel can triple or quadruple if the braes are not in good shape. I don't think you can afford even double the travel with your handbrake lever.

Please show us what you currently run. What about pad thickness?
    Last edited by Massive Lee; 05-16-2008, 12:55 PM.
    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Well, I've seen about a handful in person, and the only one that I truly admired was from "some Australian company", as the driver put it. :p

Is the secret really in the master cylinder or do the lines play a significant role as well?
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

Feedback Thread

Comment

Why are you trying to lock up the rear wheels? drifting perhaps?

edit - never mind - drifting

Comment

Parking on hills in Florida. :)

Feedback Thread

Comment

I would be interested in this too. The whole rear shoe setup is a lot of unspring mass that I would like ot get rid of. I have always thought ebrake setups were kind of a goofy system on a modern car. What do company like lambo do?it I see a second brake caliper on their rear wheels that i assume is a hydralic ebrake. How is that fitted?

I would however like some kind of option where it would rachet like to stock set up when parking but be able to free wheel (probably like what rwdrift wants for drifting)when not parking...
            e30sport.net
            '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
            '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
            '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

rwdrift.

If you intend to plumb an hydraulic ebrake, I suggest you only use steel hardlines. And with no superfluous length. Straight from the firewall, to the ebrake master and to the back. Buy the master only, and build your own set-up with adjustable leverage settings.
              Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Comment

FWIW. States that have an inspection, somewhere in the fine print it will say "mechanical parking brake" or something like that.

I dont think Florida is a problem for inspection, and it is flat, but I have one of those hydraulic parking brakes on my big truck (in addition to a huge brake drum on the tranny) and it loses pressure after about 2 days. It is more used for starting on hills in super granny low.

Think of it this way: Would you work under your car if it was just being held up by a 20 year old hydraulic jack?

Now if you want it only for drifting, look at these:

If it's Classic, Vintage VW Volkswagen Restoration, Wheels, Performance, Custom or Unique, it's In Stock @ Cip1.

jay
                  Last edited by Hellabad; 10-15-2008, 12:24 PM.
                  Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                  Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                  Ground Control facebook page

Comment

erick. hit me up on aim later today. i've been doing some thinkin on how to run a hydraulic e brake :D and im pretty sure i've got it figured out.

Comment

Working...
                    X