'91 318 ABS relay missing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 318 ABS relay missing...

OK so I've had an ABS light ever since I threw the M20 in and have no recollection of the ABS working or not with the M42 (as I've only had the car for a few months in driveable condition before the motor swap) and have checked all the sensors, connectors, wires and all seemed fine. I then did a search and found that the relay can go bad so I fiddled around inside and found what I believe is the harness for the ABS.

This is what I found.

From searching, I found that the connector I should be looking for is black and this connector is not obviously. I tested the green wire coming from the relay harness and it does lead to the ABS connector in various places. So this IS the relay connector.

I placed a normal BMW relay in that connector and fired up the car, ABS light is still on.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the ABS still wouldn't be working?

Does the ABS system require a special relay or am I right into thinking any normal BMW 4 prong relay will work.....
    83 500 SEC.....aired and then some
    87 420 SEL......on 20" D's
    99 M3..............twinscrewed and wallet hungry

I am sort of working through the same issue, with my 90ix.

What I believe you have there, however, is the seat belt relay, or something like that... I forget which one exactly.

If you got to this BMW repair manual, and follow it to brakes, and to page 34 - 35, it mentions that the overvoltage relay has been intergrated into the control unit.

Not sure if that helps... but I am quite sure the conection you have in the pic isn't what you think it is.

Comment

Hmmmm ok, guess I'll be doing some more digging around.
      83 500 SEC.....aired and then some
      87 420 SEL......on 20" D's
      99 M3..............twinscrewed and wallet hungry

Comment

Working...
      X