Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

brake fluid flush :: is a power/vacuum bleeder needed - what about the ABS pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake fluid flush :: is a power/vacuum bleeder needed - what about the ABS pump?

so I'm preparing to do all 4 corners this weekend. I want to flush the system as the fluid that's in there is *gasp* 10 years old or more.

questions:

1) do I need a power/vacuum bleeder to do this or can I do it the old fashioned pump, release method?
    2) on modern VWs, you need to cycle the ABS pump to finalise the task. is there anything odd like this on the E30?

also, there is an ATE tool for 'degreeing' the caliper piston. my father was telling me to not forget this step, but I can't find much info on it.

thanks guys. pix of the job after the weekend.

1. No.
    2. Nope, just pump 15 times between releases.
    '89 325i track sloot
    '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

wow. that was quick. thanks. 15 pumps, release. obviously should do longest to shortest line per protocol.

Comment

A pressure bleeder isn't essential, but it does make the task much easier and also makes it a on-person job. You can achieve the same results by the pedal method, but it will take longer and require a helper. And since brake fluid should be changed no less often that every other year, a pressure bleeder is a worthwhile investment.

Start with the right rear(passenger side), next the left rear, then right front, and finally left front. For a full flush you should drain a measured 200cc from each rear caliper and 125cc from each front caliper. That leaves 350cc left from a liter of fluid, which is sufficient to fill the reservoir.

Cycling the ABS is a good thing to do when changing the fluid, but not absolutely necessary. Taking the car out to a wet, empty, parking lot and getting into ABS will suffice to clear old fluid from the ABS pump.

Nothing special needs to be done to the calipers (i.e., no "'degreeing' the caliper piston").
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

thanks for the additional info. i have a helper, and have done the old pump pump pump method so many times over the years that it's no big deal. the car's not my daily, so the time it takes to do the job is irrelevant.

Comment

Don't pump between releases.

The cavitation of the piston makes air bubbles.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

you pump several times to build pressure in the system, then release. close the bleeder, top off the MC and repeat until clean fluid appears at each wheel, in the order described above by jlevie. I'm quite familiar with brake bleeding procedures, I was more or less enquiring if there were any special procedures due to the ABS. From what I'm gathering, no. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

I highly recommend a set of these, and one for the clutch too. Just put your tube and bottle on the bleeder, go pump and you're done in 1/5 the time as the helper method. I had seen them on hydraulic systems, but it never dawned on me to get a set for the brakes until a friend mentioned it.

Speed Bleeder, Speedbleeder, SB1010, SB1010-SS, SB1010S, SB1010S-B, SB1010S-SS, SB10125, SB10125-SS, SB1015, SB1015-SS, SB8125LL, SB8125LL-SS, SB8125L, SB8125L-SS, SB8125, SB8125-SS, SB8100, SB8100-SS, SB7100, SB7100-SS, SB7100S, SB7100S-SS, SB6100, SB6100-SS, SB71624L, SB71624, SB71620, SB71620-SS, SB3824L, SB3824HD, SB3824HD-SS, SB3824, SB3824-SS, SB51624L, SB51624L-SS, SB51624, SB1428, SB1428-SS, brakes, bled, bleed, racing brake bleeder, automotive bleeder screw, bleeding motorcycle brakes, hydraulic, master cylinder, master cylinder bleeder kit, automobiles, car, cars, motorcycles, atv, 4wheeler, 4x4, dirt bike, screw, vent screw, bleed nipple, bleed valve, bleeding brakes, bleed brakes, bleeder thread pitch, trucks, screws, bleeder, wilwood, performace machine, stoptech, girling, brembo, ford, chevy, dodge, chrysler, pontiac, bmw, suzuki, mg, nissan, subaru, miata, RAM trucks, RAM, datsun, acura, fiat, gmc, chevrolet, buick, harley davidson, honda, kawasaki, yamaha, polaris, ducati, can-am, canam, triumph

Comment

thats a mighty fine idea there, too

Comment

Originally posted by ducatipaso View Post
                    you pump several times to build pressure in the system, then release.
                    NO! Do NOT do this, that is what causes air bubbles in the system!

One pump, hold, release, repeat.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

OK so I'm getting conflicting information here. Why would multiple presses on a closed system introduce air? That'd defeat the purpose of how the hydraulic system should function.

Comment

Originally posted by ducatipaso View Post
                        OK so I'm getting conflicting information here. Why would multiple presses on a closed system introduce air? That'd defeat the purpose of how the hydraulic system should function.
                        Yeah, I thought the same thing too...but after trying it this way (after YEARS of pumping) I have found that the brakes feel better and the overall process is quicker.

I am gonna do the "modified bug spray pump" deal soon, as I have 4 or 5 E30s I work on regularly. Being able to pressurize the system makes it so easy to get a solid flush/bleed.

Oh yeah, I got that info from Baer brakes, BTW. They have excellent tech pages.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Ok so I also want to do this and put on SS lines ( only front for now until SB rebuild) at the same time.
                          Do I change the lines then bleed them in order until I get clean fluid and no bubbles at each corner?
                          How much fluid should I get for the flush?
                          Last edited by Kingb; 09-13-2008, 06:37 AM.
                          Originally posted by Nicademus
                          My car beats off to that car. :bow:

Comment

Ok so I also want to do this and put on SS lines ( only front for now until SB rebuild) at the same time. Do I change the lines then bleed them in order until I get clean fluid and no bubbles at each corner?
                            Yes
                            How much fluid should I get for the flush?
                            1 liter is plenty for a full flush, see my post above.
                            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Just a word on the pressure bleeder- I used one this past weekend and while it makes the job go much quicker and easier, make sure not to go past 15psi on a Motive type bleeder. I used 15psi and managed to bleed the fluid and leak a good half liter all over my garage-- I found out that the rubber grommets and seals between the master and the reservoir do not like 15psi once they're old and weak.
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                              X