Rotors look rusty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotors look rusty?

i just put on new rotors/pads a month ago or so and was giving hte car a wash today and noticed that the surface of my rotors look kind of rusty.. My brakes also squeek pretty bad when coming to a complete stop sometimes..

1) whats going on eh?'
    2) could it effect the noise my brakes are making?
    Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
    Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

go for a drive and use the brakes a little bit and the rust will be gone.

Did you have the car parked for a while when you noticed the rust?
    ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Originally posted by royalflush313
      go for a drive and use the brakes a little bit and the rust will be gone.

Did you have the car parked for a while when you noticed the rust?
      this is my daily driver. i noticed the rust after the car had sat overnight. but the day before it was driven a hundred miles or so.

Comment

It'll go off after a quick drive.
        Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
        EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
        FullOpp Stickers for sale!
        NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
        Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
        ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

After washing my car it took about 20 min till the rotors got rusty looking, backed it up in the drive way and hit the brakes and it was all gone.

Comment

It doesn't take long, especially in humid dlimates or after a wash/rain, for the rotors to rust up...Any bare carbon-steel or cast iron will rust very quickly. Don't worry about it.

Comment

You answered your own question. You were washing your car when..........
              Thats it. My rotors always get rust on them after washing the car. If you come back from the drive and they are still rusty, then thats when things get wierd.
              - 318is 4 life

Comment

Originally posted by Wes325
                You answered your own question. You were washing your car when..........
                Thats it. My rotors always get rust on them after washing the car. If you come back from the drive and they are still rusty, then thats when things get wierd.
                this was after driving for three weeks without rain (save for one day, four days previous).. and it was BEFORE washing my car that i noticed, while i was getting ready to spray it down.

Comment

oh jeez, dont wory about it. Just drive it around the neighbor hood for a min and use the breaks alot, then check if theres rust again. If there isnt any, then your okai. Any little water on those break rotors will rust them up quickly, under 6 min. im sure. It shouldnt be a problem.
                  -Even a professional was once a beginner.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaster.
                    oh jeez, dont wory about it. Just drive it around the neighbor hood for a min and use the breaks alot, then check if theres rust again. If there isnt any, then your okai. Any little water on those break rotors will rust them up quickly, under 6 min. im sure. It shouldnt be a problem.
                    yeah, i was just curious as to if its why my breaks are squeeky as well.. i mean, i just replaced them a month ago.. ATE rotors and pagid pads.

Comment

Did you use plenty of anti-squeal compound on the backs of the pads when you installed them? Nearly all disc brakes will squeal if that compound isn't used to limit vibration. It's the pad vibrating against the caliper/piston that causes the squealing; not the pad against the disc. Just my .02...

Comment

Originally posted by EverWiser
                        Did you use plenty of anti-squeal compound on the backs of the pads when you installed them? Nearly all disc brakes will squeal if that compound isn't used to limit vibration. It's the pad vibrating against the caliper/piston that causes the squealing; not the pad against the disc. Just my .02...
                        unfortunately i did not. none came with the pads or rotors, and i had to get them in and installed quickly, i guess i'll deal with it until my next pad change.

Comment

Working...
                        X