Brakes have a mind of their own, ABS problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PhillyG
    replied
    Originally posted by Janderson
    That's the stupidest fucking logic I've ever heard.

    So then you have it fixed by someone who CAN fix it. Why in the hell would you want to just remove your ABS system?

    Seriously, grow a brain.
    Well look at it this way.

    Your a college student. You have no money. Your abs system is locking your wheels up creating a dangerous situation. Not having the probably 500+ dollars to fix it with a shop, you remove it.

    I don't see why you get an attitude and insult me?

    On that note everyone who removes their A/c system because it doesn't work is a fucking tard too right?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    That's the stupidest fucking logic I've ever heard.

    So then you have it fixed by someone who CAN fix it. Why in the hell would you want to just remove your ABS system?

    Seriously, grow a brain.

    Leave a comment:


  • PhillyG
    replied
    Originally posted by Janderson
    The good old typical R3V fix. Pull the bulb. :roll:

    I haven't done a swap, and I have the same issue as Fred.
    I dunno about you but I rather not have brakes that lock up all on their own. If it was becoming a serious problem that I couldn't fix I'd remove the system. And I'm not saying unplug it.... jesus.

    Leave a comment:


  • abepark
    replied
    did you ground the system at all? I doubt that will help, but its easy to do.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jand3rson
    replied
    Originally posted by PhillyG
    Just remove the abs. Unless you really need it.
    The good old typical R3V fix. Pull the bulb. :roll:

    I haven't done a swap, and I have the same issue as Fred.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Well, pin 20 requires 12V in run and start, which it has. I've done an M50 swap to a different 318is before and the system worked fine, with an identical wiring setup. I'm going to snip the ABS power wire to see if it is a hydraulic problem or an ABS problem.

    I am using a known good master cylinder, and I am not losing any fluid. I just finished rebuilding all four brakes. I haven't tested the brakes yet, because when I finished last night there was snow on the ground.

    Leave a comment:


  • abepark
    replied
    I'd be suspect of the wiring if its been happening since your motor swap. Because it easy ground the positive terminal and reset the system, see if that does anything. Are you loosing any fluid? I've heard when the master cylinder starts to go this happens, I guess it doesn't release pressure back and when you step on the pedal the next time is pushes even more pressure on the ABS system to activate? Just a guess why it happens.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    I'm sure the system can be fixed, but it's just a matter of figuring out what is wrong.

    Leave a comment:


  • PhillyG
    replied
    Just remove the abs. Unless you really need it.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Well, I junked the parts car and got the swap car into the garage. I checked the ABS rings on the rear halfshafts after pulling the sensors. They are visually undamaged. I cleaned them and reinstalled them and nothing changed.

    My next step is to rebuild the calipers.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Dang. I think the first thing I'll check is the rear halfshafts, then.

    Leave a comment:


  • 1990m3
    replied
    Originally posted by Knockenwelle
    You know, I wonder if I have a bad rear ring. I rebuilt the CVs while they were out, and filed a few tiny nicks smooth on one while it was apart. I can't imagine that the sensors are THAT sensitive to anomalies, but that's really the only thing that changed during the build. The ABS worked fine before, and the nicks were present...
    they are. I knicked one ever so slightly with my cut off wheel when I was cutting off the front brake backing plates and that was my problem. Took me 6 months to figure it out and I felt like an idiot once I did. You should have seen how small the knick was, it was hard to believe that it affected my ABS system the way it did.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Originally posted by 1990m3
    I had this problem too. FredK, you never posted if you found any damage to the ABS rings. I had the slightest knick, replaced the ring and all is good. May not be your problem but I keep checking this thread to see how your problem was solved and I see nothing.
    Well the rear halfshafts were from a different car, so I am not sure of the condition of the rings as I did not check them prior to installation. Right now, my progress has been slowed because I am dismantling a parts car and it's taking up space in the garage. The parts car has known-good halfshafts so maybe I'll swap those in and see if that changes anything.

    The front rings should be fine, because when the strut housings were installed on a different car, the ABS worked fine.

    I haven't solved the problem yet, but I'll definitely keep this thread updated.

    Leave a comment:


  • Knockenwelle
    replied
    You know, I wonder if I have a bad rear ring. I rebuilt the CVs while they were out, and filed a few tiny nicks smooth on one while it was apart. I can't imagine that the sensors are THAT sensitive to anomalies, but that's really the only thing that changed during the build. The ABS worked fine before, and the nicks were present...

    Leave a comment:


  • 1990m3
    replied
    I had this problem too. FredK, you never posted if you found any damage to the ABS rings. I had the slightest knick, replaced the ring and all is good. May not be your problem but I keep checking this thread to see how your problem was solved and I see nothing.

    Leave a comment:

Working...