Massive BBK Wheel Fitment Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
    Does Wilwood have a Hawk HP+ type equivalent? Or does Wilwood make pads for the stock rear calipers? So you could have the same or similar compounds front and rear?
    Wilwood pads are made by Raybestos. I have no idea what they offer for stock BMW calipers. Especially for a 25 year old car. Nonetheless, rear HT10 will be a good match to front Polymatrix B pads.

Lee
    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

What about a more street oriented pad? Like the HP+, its good for street/auto-x and light track duty.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

HP+ are obviously available for stock e30 calipers. While the HP+ may not be available now for Dynapro calipers (it is a new caliper after all) they will most likely be available in near future when manufacturers adapt their production to new calipers.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

I meant does Wilwood have a pad for the Dynapro caliper that would be a good match to an HP+ on the rear stock caliper.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

I just called Hawk directly. Sadly, they don't have any friction chart. This would be very usefull to mix and match compounds from different manufacturers. I kinda am not in favor in hearsay when it comes to what pad is higher-lower friction. I like numbers.

BP20 (street-track for a light car)

B compound (mostly track)

Hawk's HP+
            No graph. But their statement about the HP+ is pretty interesting: "Extremely high coefficient of friction makes HP Plus the perfect upgrade over stock for high performance streetcars used in autocross competition or that experience repetitive, heavy braking."

Hmmm.. That pad has a lower coefficient of friction than the HT10, which is considered a medium friction pad, compared to Hawk's own DTC60 or DTC70.

These are high friction pads from Wilwood - Racing only
            Last edited by Massive Lee; 04-06-2009, 01:28 PM.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

I have enquired with Rob Kheener at Bimmerworld regarding clearance with the new Pro Race 1.3 and have asked if they had a profile I could use to compare the 1.3 with its Pro Race predecessors. I will post here the results.

Lee

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Does Wilwood have a Hawk HP+ type equivalent?
                Wilwood's closest thing to a street pad would be the Q-Compound. My experience has been that the Q-Compound is pretty close in feel to Hawk HPS. I'm not sure if there's a Polymatrix pad that's equivalent to the HP+ compound. Most of them are full-race pads.

I have run several track days using the Q-Compound pad with my E30 and one of Lee's "Street" kits. I had some caliper-related problems: the piston diameters on the Outlaw calipers I had were WAY too big for even the big E32 750iL master cylinder, so I had lots of trouble due to a VERY soft pedal. But the pads held up just fine on the track. Better even than HP+ pads.

Incidentally, I recently bought some new calipers with smaller piston diameters. Now the problem is gone.

Or does Wilwood make pads for the stock rear calipers?
                Wilwood does make pads for many OEM calipers...but E30 rears are not among them. You'll need to mix-and-match front and rear pads. In my experience, the rear pads don't do much work with such big brakes up front. So, the rears aren't really too important anyway.

So you could have the same or similar compounds front and rear?
                I've been using OEM Jurid rear pads with Q-Compounds in front both on the street and on the track. Works fine. Now that I've finally gotten my mushy pedal problem solved, I'll try some real track pads this summer. Still trying to decide among so many Wilwood compounds! I'm thinking the B-Compound is probably the way to go. People say it's similar to the Hawk HT-10, which sounds good to me.
                sigpic
                1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Has anyone tested the Kazera KZ-M wheels? They always intrigued me as it seems they offer improved clearance for a BBK, and they are inexpensive too.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Race kit w/ Kosei K1, running Hoosiers o a Race car.
                    A thin spacer was used so that the Hoosiers could clear the struts.

Basically, even though the K1 is not the wheel offering the best clearance, it is possible to use it as it remains a great wheel. Especially if you race and need the extra thickness of the Race kit's rotors. Not to mention that there are tons of K1s out there. Also, I understand that it will break a few people'S heart for grinding the calipers, but hey, they cost only $175 each, not the Brembo GTR'S $2,500...

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                      I have enquired with Rob Kheener at Bimmerworld regarding clearance with the new Pro Race 1.3 and have asked if they had a profile I could use to compare the 1.3 with its Pro Race predecessors. I will post here the results.

Lee
                      Lee, any word from Bimmerworld on the profiles of the 1.3's?
                      sigpic
                      '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

1.3s

I spoke to Brian at BW last week......he had a 1.2 and 1.3 in his hands....he said the 1.3 had perhaps a few mm more at best.......
                        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyVT View Post
                          Lee, any word from Bimmerworld on the profiles of the 1.3's?
                          I wish someone at BW would reply and send me a pdf.

As far as extra clearance, there ample room at the spokes on the 1.2. It is the transition from spokes-to-small barrel that usually is the problem. On the 1.2 it is 1" more inward compared to a 1.0. I checked with a 1.0 and a 1.2 at a track event.

Lee

massivebrakes.com

Comment

I will test the Street and Sport kits on my Works this evening, possibly the Race kit. I suspect the Street kit will clear with ease and the Sport with no problem.

Although I guess that doesn't help anyone since I have one of the only E30 correct fitments in existence.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                              Has anyone tested the Kazera KZ-M wheels? They always intrigued me as it seems they offer improved clearance for a BBK, and they are inexpensive too.

It's academic at this point, as the KZ-M is no longer available. I have a set, and the largest race kit template cleared, but just barely (1-2 mm clearance). A small spacer would probably be needed. The other kits all would fit fine.
                              1973 Bavaria

Comment

I just had a reply from Jay Magelon at BW. He's on the case for supplying me a profile for the PR 1.3. Thanks all for your patience.

Lee

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Working...
                                X