Installed new rotors and pads - vibration problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed new rotors and pads - vibration problem

I installed new rotors and pads all around today, and under moderate to hard braking I feel a vibration, almost feels like ABS, and hear a thumping noise from the front right.

at first I thought it was the tire hitting the plastic fender liner, but that isn't it.

the rotors are Brembo blanks, quality I thought. what are the odds of getting a warped rotor from them?

any ideas?

are you using the bolts that hold the rotors in place? Take the wheels off and make sure the rotors are seated right and everything it tight.
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
      are you using the bolts that hold the rotors in place? Take the wheels off and make sure the rotors are seated right and everything it tight.
      yea checked that lot several times, everythings tight and in place

Comment

While possible, I'd say that the odds are that you don't have a warped Brembo rotor. I'd be more suspicious that the rotor isn't fully seated on the hub, you haven't bedded in the pads, you've managed to to get uneven pad deposits on the rotors, there are worn suspension parts, or that you have a tire/wheel problem.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The thing is there was no vibration before the change. So I suspect it's part of the braking system.
          I did bed in the pads according to the instructions, got them nice and smelly.

I tightened the little screw that holds the rotor to the hub, and brushed off what little rust there was where the rotor seats. But of all things mentioned the rotor not being fully seated sounds most plausible.. ill have another look tommorow

Comment

did you torque your wheels properly? sometimes if you overtighten them you can "warp" the rotors.
            http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

I'm having the same issue. Just replaced the pads and rotors today. Any idea what the cause was for you? Thanks in advance.

Chris
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

So I've still got this issue. I went ahead and put in new control arms and M3 CABs, still nothing. I swapped the pads from the passenger's side to the driver's side to see if that was the issue and nothing changed. Any ideas?

Chris
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Did you check the hub surface behind the rotors? If you get crud in there the rotors will never seat right. Also make sure your caliper bolts are tight. It seems stupid but I know of more that one occasion where that was the culprit.

Comment

I've checked and double checked both, to no avail. I'm really puzzled as to what it might be, because I've never had this issue before.

Comment

So here's another interesting part of this saga, I swapped the driver's side and passenger's side rotors and the noise followed the rotor. That is to say, now the sound is coming from the driver's side. Would a warped rotor have these symptoms and make this noise?

Chris

Comment

yes
                        if you have a harbor freight near you you can get a dial indicator adn stand for under 30 bucks, and you can check if the rotors are warped on the car
                        you can also do it with a sharpie, a vice grip a c clamp adn a chair. set the sharpie in the vice grip and clamp to the chair. move the chair so it is a papers thickness away from the rotor, spin the rotor, see if you get any marks on the rotor, if you do, its probablly warped
                        thats an old cheap motorcyle trick
                        or pull them off adn take to a machine shop and have em checked
                        a friend that has a shop with a turning machine, checks every new rotor before mounting

Comment

Originally posted by 3bvert View Post
                          yes
                          if you have a harbor freight near you you can get a dial indicator adn stand for under 30 bucks, and you can check if the rotors are warped on the car
                          you can also do it with a sharpie, a vice grip a c clamp adn a chair. set the sharpie in the vice grip and clamp to the chair. move the chair so it is a papers thickness away from the rotor, spin the rotor, see if you get any marks on the rotor, if you do, its probablly warped
                          thats an old cheap motorcyle trick
                          or pull them off adn take to a machine shop and have em checked
                          a friend that has a shop with a turning machine, checks every new rotor before mounting
                          Good stuff, thank you. I went ahead and ordered a new rotor from patrick at BMA. He didn't seem to think it was a rotor issue, but we'll see after I install it.

Comment

chances are it was indeed a warped rotor, the last time i replaced my rotors the fronts were warped.
                            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                              chances are it was indeed a warped rotor, the last time i replaced my rotors the fronts were warped.
                              Let's hope that that was indeed the issue. I should get it on Saturday and it's going on as soon as it gets here.

Comment

Working...
                              X