Stripping paint from rear subframe and trailing arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripping paint from rear subframe and trailing arms

Does anyone have some tips on how to get the subframe and TAs down to bare metal? I've been using strip discs on an angle grinder (like this https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg) and it works great for the big parts, but the small spaces it just can't fit in there. I do not have a sandblaster unfortunately, and Jasco paint stripper doesn't seem to be working very well. I do not know what kind of paint is on there but it seems very thick..

You could try smaller wire wheels on a corded drill. That's how I'm trying to do mine, though I'm not going for all bare metal, just a clean surface for some 2 part epoxy Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

There are also wire wheels and paint stripper flails available for both angle grinders and drills.

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
        You could try smaller wire wheels on a corded drill. That's how I'm trying to do mine, though I'm not going for all bare metal, just a clean surface for some 2 part epoxy Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
        So is it not necessary to get it down to bare metal in order for the paint to adhere well? Sorry I'm pretty new to painting.

Comment

Absolutely, no need to remove solid paint if all you wan to do is recoat the part to protect it, but the most common paint failures/rust start over welds in the hard to reach areas, and if there's rust it has to go.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Absolutely, no need to remove solid paint if all you wan to do is recoat the part to protect it, but the most common paint failures/rust start over welds in the hard to reach areas, and if there's rust it has to go.
            Ok thanks for the info!

Comment

You might be better off having them professionally sand or soda blasted and powder coated.

Comment

Originally posted by E30-325iS View Post
                You might be better off having them professionally sand or soda blasted and powder coated.
                I went ahead and cleaned them up real well, sanded, and just put some primer on. I don't need it to be 100% aesthetically perfect as long as it's durable for the foreseeable future. I'll post some pics once I have everything done.

Comment

Working...
                X