Axle stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle stuck

1990 325i, refreshing rear sub-frame, bushings, bearings, sway bar links, axle boots, etc. Left axle came right out. Right axle refuses to budge. Made a puller (pusher) from a 3/4 X 1 1/2" steel block with a 5/8" threaded rod bolted to the hub and pressing against the axle end. Applied so much torque with a 2' breaker bar that the steel block bowed up in the center about 1/8". Hit it with a 5# hammer hard as I could and nothing. My next Idea is the hot wrench. Anyone else had this problem and what did you do. I've got a press but the thoughts of trying to wrestle this thing in that does not sound like fun.

If you can get a helper so you can pry and whack the end of the axle that often helps.

Comment

Update: stood trailing arm assembly upright, heated hub with a propane torch and after it cooled somewhat applied a 50 / 50 mixture of acetone and auto trans fluid. Did this several times and used a 6' breaker bar and a large gear puller, this finally freed it up. Axle splines look like they have some corrosion so this must be the problem. Fought me the whole distance of the splines.

Comment

Working...
      X