Z3 Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 Rack Swap

Anyone else have an issue with the Z3 rack's hard lines fouling on the subframe? Is there anything wrong with using the froward most holes instead of the original ones?

I did not have any issue with my steel bodied Z3 rack fouling the lines. They were a tight fit but had clearance nonetheless. Is your rack a reman? It looks like there is some extra length before the 90deg bend compared to my factory rack.

If it is a reman maybe you can discuss with the supplier or you could replace the lines with a tighter radius bend at the ends. I can't comment on running the outermost holes as far as steering geometry and altered feel at ride height. I would think the clearance at the oil pan would come into play with the rack in the outer holes....it is a super tight fit with the E34 pan on my M52, I would assume the M20 is similar.

Here is a picture of my rack installed on the subframe:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3 rack.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	10017577

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
      I did not have any issue with my steel bodied Z3 rack fouling the lines. They were a tight fit but had clearance nonetheless. Is your rack a reman? It looks like there is some extra length before the 90deg bend compared to my factory rack.

If it is a reman maybe you can discuss with the supplier or you could replace the lines with a tighter radius bend at the ends. I can't comment on running the outermost holes as far as steering geometry and altered feel at ride height. I would think the clearance at the oil pan would come into play with the rack in the outer holes....it is a super tight fit with the E34 pan on my M52, I would assume the M20 is similar.

Here is a picture of my rack installed on the subframe:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Z3 rack.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	10017577
      My rack is a reman. I’ll try the supplier first and see if they will possibly send out some new lines. Otherwise it may just be a good opportunity to learn how to make new hard lines. I was mostly concerned with the steering geometry when moving to the forward mounting holes but I’m sure you are correct regarding the oil pan clearance. Thank you for the input and the photo.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, happy to help. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Working...
        X