Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M52-Swapped E30 Cabriolet - Ground Control Coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52-Swapped E30 Cabriolet - Ground Control Coilovers?

Hey all, posting this since I can’t find this specific information. I’m looking to upgrade my cabby’s suspension setup from the crap that I swapped from my coupe. Looking at the GC coil over setup here: https://groundcontrolstore.com/produ...-length-struts. I live in a city with miserable roads and the current suspension is soft and somewhat comfortable, but lacking in control and proper ride height (worn coupe springs in the front) I can’t find specific specs on the ride quality or how much it drops the car. I’m already nervous with my oil pan at the “stock” height since the M52 pan is so low and the M52 is heavier, thus lower. Would this be a good kit for my setup? Otherwise I was looking at the H&R sport cabriolet kit plus billies over the konis. I don’t plan to track it much, really just looking for a stiffer/smoother setup for enthusiastic driving. Any other recommendation is welcome as well. Thanks! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this GC coil over setup in my '93 e30 convertible with an s50: https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...nt=35512824643 until a few weeks ago.

My GC setup had the shortened struts because I wanted to lower the ride height a bit. I also had the BMW E30 Camber/Caster Plate, SCCA Street Prepared Class dual purpose "toned down" camber plates.

I put about 25k miles on this suspension and liked the way the car handled but the trade off is it did ride a little harsh on rougher roads. Being a convertible, I never tracked the car but it would have handled really well if I had. I regularly track my e39 M5.

As I got older and my car collection grew, I found myself driving the e30 less and less. I recently replaced the CG setup with Bilstein Sport shocks and H&R springs. Here are my observations:

The GC setup handles WAY better than the Bilstein/H&R setup but keep in mind it cost 4 times as much.

The Bilstein setup is much softer and smoother than the CG setup. I loved the GC setup when I was younger but now at 60, I prefer the softer Bilstein setup even though it gives up quite a bit of handling.

GC was a good company to work with when I bought my system from them and they advised me what spring rates I should use for an e30/s50.

Although the car was lowered some, I have never hit my oil pan and the streets in Baltimore can be pretty bad in places.

I will be selling my GC setup soon.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dougsic View Post
      I had this GC coil over setup in my '93 e30 convertible with an s50: https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...nt=35512824643 until a few weeks ago.

My GC setup had the shortened struts because I wanted to lower the ride height a bit. I also had the BMW E30 Camber/Caster Plate, SCCA Street Prepared Class dual purpose "toned down" camber plates.

I put about 25k miles on this suspension and liked the way the car handled but the trade off is it did ride a little harsh on rougher roads. Being a convertible, I never tracked the car but it would have handled really well if I had. I regularly track my e39 M5.

As I got older and my car collection grew, I found myself driving the e30 less and less. I recently replaced the CG setup with Bilstein Sport shocks and H&R springs. Here are my observations:

The GC setup handles WAY better than the Bilstein/H&R setup but keep in mind it cost 4 times as much.

The Bilstein setup is much softer and smoother than the CG setup. I loved the GC setup when I was younger but now at 60, I prefer the softer Bilstein setup even though it gives up quite a bit of handling.

GC was a good company to work with when I bought my system from them and they advised me what spring rates I should use for an e30/s50.

Although the car was lowered some, I have never hit my oil pan and the streets in Baltimore can be pretty bad in places.

I will be selling my GC setup soon.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Thank you Doug! Thats exactly what I needed to hear, I think I'll be pulling the trigger soon on a setup with Billies, anything will be an upgrade from the generic shocks I threw on it to get it driveable.

Did you purchase the H+R sport spring set specifically for the convertible?

Thank you again!

Comment

Hi 128keaton,

Yes, I bought the H&R springs for the convertible. Funny things is, I bought them about 4 or 5 years ago and never opened the box. I'd thought I had bought an entire kit including springs and shocks but when I recently opened the box and it only had springs in it, I was very surprised! Fortunately the packing slip was still attached and it clearly listed only springs.

I am happy with the current H&R / Bilstein setup even though it doesn't handle as well as the previous CG suspension did. If you go this route, I hope you like it too.

Comment

Working...
        X