Beefy shock dosen't want to come out of tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beefy shock dosen't want to come out of tower

Howdy folks just wondering if there is an easy way to get my shock out from the tower?

right now i have it hanging from the shocks nut, and hoping gravity takes course. Soon.

any help will be appreciated.

Almost looks like your Bilstein came apart, but someone probably just greased the tube case to strut body and now that grease has turned to adhesive.

In either case, gently/evenly heat the tube or just leave it in the sun, to soften the goop and pull. Even with just oil it can be hard to remove, imagine putting water in the lower of two tightly nesting glasses and try to separate them.

Comment

Your right, the suction is holding it in alright.
      I'll warm it up some and see how it goes.
      Thank you for confirming.

Comment

i had this happen once, i ended up using a tow loop and strapping one end to the strut to a metal building pole, and another tow loop to the strut housing and strapping it to my truck, came right out. not ideal, but.....
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

That's actually a good idea, ill strap it to my winch.
          I tried heating it this morning to no avail.
          Called Bilstein and they told me to hammer it out. and that heating the cartridge can cause an explosion.
          drilled a hole and tried expelling the cartridge out but at this point, it is not suction its stuck due to corrosion.

Comment

Working...
          X