e36 rack worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e36 rack worth it?

I am going to be pulling my m50 soon to drop in an s52 and have been thinking about swapping in a e36 steering rack. Just the standard 3.2 LTL rack. My e30 rack is fine...no leaks or issues but I know it would be a lot easier with the engine out.

So it is worth it?

The swap sounds simple enough. I have an airbag car so I just have to cut the plate out a little bit, nbd.

I can get a e36 rack for $75...
    www.classicdaily.net
    1970 m42 swapped 2002
    1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
    https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
    I am going to be pulling my m50 soon to drop in an s52 and have been thinking about swapping in a e36 steering rack. Just the standard 3.2 LTL rack. My e30 rack is fine...no leaks or issues but I know it would be a lot easier with the engine out.

So it is worth it?

The swap sounds simple enough. I have an airbag car so I just have to cut the plate out a little bit, nbd.

I can get a e36 rack for $75...
    For $75 and you have the car tore up anyway - yes, it is worth it. I put in a e36 rack when my original rack died. It wasn't my daily driver and I put off getting the car aligned after I did the swap. I hated the steering - was very twitchy and didn't feel safe. I finally got the car aligned and it is 100% better - quick steering and feels solid - but really don't know if it was worth the extra $$ from stock.
    Aaron

Comment

definitly worth it. It is probably the single most 'modernizing' thing I have done to the car. It doesn't feel nearly as archaic now; just make sure you ger a good alignment.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Just got back from the alignment shop this mourning after doing the swap. LOVE it!

Comment

Originally posted by Hey-U View Post
          Just got back from the alignment shop this mourning after doing the swap. LOVE it!
          Makes all the difference!
          Aaron

Comment

yes it is worth it.

the only one up is the Z3 rack. If you want your steering to be telepathic, then do it.

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
            click here for details

Comment

Curious as to what is better about the E36 rack. Believe it's shorter turning radius, but is it "quicker" also? Enlighten me.

Comment

Yes, significantly quicker, depending on which e36 or z3 model you use.

Comment

It doesn't shorten your turning radius, it makes the steering 'quicker' (i.e. for any given amount of movement of the steering wheel, your wheels turn more)

Comment

So what's the best model & year rack to use?

Comment

z3
                      Flickr
                      Originally posted by Indecline06
                      For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

^^^Any year the same?

Comment

search? there have been sooo many threads about this.
                          Flickr
                          Originally posted by Indecline06
                          For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

You could've answered my question in less time than it took ya to type that response, but thanks for the info...

Comment

From what I understand, 95 m3 rack is 3.0 lock to lock, and is the most desirable. All other e36 racks are 3.2 LTL, and the z3 is 2.7 LTL. These last two racks have the SAME RATIO, with the z3 simply having less travel.

For comparison, standard e30 is 4 turns LTL and e30m3 is 3.5
                              Originally posted by chileelky
                              amaze about the enthusiasm e30 generate

Comment

Working...
                              X