Ground Controls... Worth it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bishop
    replied
    Ok, well I'll PM you here in a few minutes, or at least hopefully before the end of the night. If you can give me enough help and get me straightened out, i'll just make sure I have my DSLR at my side during the install and I'll try to do a How-To thread

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Yeah, I was about to say I thought they would have done that.

    Rear is crazy easy. Put adjuster on the little bump on the trailing arm, put the cone on the bump above it... fit spring between the two. Rear springs take a few seconds to swap out, which is great for tuning and the fact that there is a big trading market in ERS springs. (honda tech especially) But that's one of the winning pros of ground control which is why they are worth it.

    this should be worth a thousand words:


    good idea on the PM idea to avoid hijacking, but others may find it helpful.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bishop
    replied
    I think the fronts are all assembled since I had them modify some strut tubes for me. The only loose stuff I have is the rear springs, some urethane donuts that look like mounts of some sort, and some threaded pieces annodized red. If u wanna move this from thread to PM or email I have pics i can send.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Oh, sorry. There's usually a few pages with diagrams. But I didn't really use one to put it together.

    Place spring adjuster on the strut donut perch (need to lower it down so you can put it all together, then raise later)
    Place spring on top
    Add camber plate, making sure all parts are as they should (pretty logical, but don't remember it all - you can do it thinking it through I imagine)
    Pull rod up through camber plate / tower hole.
    Add nut on top of camber plate and tighten to strut rod
    Poke the 3 plate bolts through the tower and tighten nuts

    That's the general gist of it. I think I could possibly have a diagram in my bedroom but I've been busy and it's a mess. I'll post if i find it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bishop
    replied
    Thanks man, I'm aware that removing the old stuff will be harder. I'm just looking for a writeup to follow, unless it's pretty straight forward and easy. I got 450# fronts and I believe they were 700# rears. No instructions, no packing list or anything from GC though and I forget exactly what was decided.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by Bishop
    I hate to venture off-topic a tad, but I feel I must since there are so many who have the coilvoers. I just received my GC setup w/ endlinks, camber plates, and modified strut housings. I haven't really looked at what its going to take to install it all though. Is it straight forward? I've been lookin here and on e30tech for some sort of how-to, but cant find anything
    You're going to have a lot more trouble taking your old stuff off your car than putting together your GC stuff. Straight-forward.


    600/700 is a bit crazy. Especially if you can't handle well on a bumpy track.

    500/650 is working excellently for me, and 350-475 is good for a daily / fun car.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bishop
    replied
    I hate to venture off-topic a tad, but I feel I must since there are so many who have the coilvoers. I just received my GC setup w/ endlinks, camber plates, and modified strut housings. I haven't really looked at what its going to take to install it all though. Is it straight forward? I've been lookin here and on e30tech for some sort of how-to, but cant find anything

    Leave a comment:


  • DRTSRFR
    replied
    Just get some 450's for the front. It'll make a huge difference.
    There's not much change in ride quality between 650 and 700 in the rear thanks to the motion ratio.

    I ran 700's on my 4door and really couldn't feel much difference...just a hint more off throttle oversteer.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vedubin01
    replied
    450-650 is perfect for the E30 setup. No cutting needed for install. I have had mine now for just over 2 years.

    Leave a comment:


  • sharky
    replied
    Originally posted by G-MAC
    I have the full GC setup sitting on 600f/700r springs. Its great for tight cornering and I imagine it would suit you well for drifting, but it's on the rough side for a daily driver. My mechanic (who did the original GC install for a PO) likes to say "the only things with any give in the suspension on that car are the tires."
    600/700 is rather aggressive for street, that is pretty hardcore, a simple swap of the springs and you will be golden. Are you selling this kit by chance

    Leave a comment:


  • G-MAC
    replied
    I have the full GC setup sitting on 600f/700r springs. Its great for tight cornering and I imagine it would suit you well for drifting, but it's on the rough side for a daily driver. My mechanic (who did the original GC install for a PO) likes to say "the only things with any give in the suspension on that car are the tires."

    Leave a comment:


  • rwh11385
    replied
    Originally posted by 91 318is
    Well if GC didn't feel like you could use your stock one then they wouldn't have provided you with a perch.

    It's in the kit, use it.
    That's a great excuse. If it's in it, it must be used!

    I wish more members here had IQs above 80...

    Leave a comment:


  • optimusp517
    replied
    Originally posted by optimusp517
    Let's put it this way, if you do get them go with their recommended size based on your needs. I didn't listen and made a big mistake! I'm calling them on Monday and switching out my springs or possibly in there case buying new ones cause my suspension is just too harsh :P
    Actually retract my message haha. It was installer error so the ride isnt' as bad as I mentioned. I have 450/650, but I'm changing out my 650 to 550, something a little less harsh, but overall great setup! VERY HAPPY :)

    Leave a comment:


  • 91 318is
    replied
    Originally posted by rwh11385
    False. My car has been on GC's for 6+ years with the stock spring perches in front. It was helpful when I needed to change up the setup and run H&R sports for a while with the same struts and everything (borrowed some stock strut mounts to run on top)

    GC's help transform an E30. The only mods I really have are seats, SSK, and suspension and it tears up in Auto-X and at the track, and rides pretty good around town.
    Well if GC didn't feel like you could use your stock one then they wouldn't have provided you with a perch.

    It's in the kit, use it.

    Leave a comment:


  • optimusp517
    replied
    Let's put it this way, if you do get them go with their recommended size based on your needs. I didn't listen and made a big mistake! I'm calling them on Monday and switching out my springs or possibly in there case buying new ones cause my suspension is just too harsh :P

    Leave a comment:

Working...