Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

steering column and tightening the 'nut'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering column and tightening the 'nut'?

I had a chance to read here that sometimes shakey steering can be caused by loose nut on steering column above pedals?
    I tried to find that nut but I can't see it. Any directions?
    it's a 320i manual, euro, non airbag

It's the nut behind the wheel you have to tighten
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by cro320 View Post
      I had a chance to read here that sometimes shakey steering can be caused by loose nut on steering column above pedals?
      I tried to find that nut but I can't see it. Any directions?
      it's a 320i manual, euro, non airbag
      Well that loose nut over pedals is a common symptom on e34 5-series car. They have completely different column and "worm gear"(<-my english, what's it realy called?) steering box instead of rack, so this nut is not your problem.
      Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
      BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
      BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
      BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

damn...why my steering shakes over bumps and bad roads?

every opinion is welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
          Well that loose nut over pedals is a common symptom on e34 5-series car. They have completely different column and "worm gear"(<-my english, what's it realy called?) steering box instead of rack, so this nut is not your problem.

thats not entirely true. The airbag cars often have the big nut before the firewall come loose. Highly uncommon in early cars but the later cars have this problem from time to time.

OP, the nut you are looking for is a 32mm sliding nut. It goes over the steering shaft and threads onto the lower part of the steering column right before the column goes through the firewall.

It is usually a bitch to get off so dont be afraid to use a lot of penetrant to break it loose.

Good luck

Taylor
          Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
          Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Originally posted by E30_fiend View Post
            thats not entirely true. The airbag cars often have the big nut before the firewall come loose.
            Stand corrected. In my country airbag e30's are quite rare, so I have no experience.
            Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
            BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
            BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
            BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Originally posted by cro320 View Post
              damn...why my steering shakes over bumps and bad roads?

every opinion is welcome
              That condition is caused by worn suspension components. You probably need new control arms & bushings, tie rods, shocks/struts, and upper strut mounts. The car may also have worn front wheel bearings. The subframe bushings and rear trailing arm bushings also probably need to be replaced, but they aren't the cause of the steering wheel shake.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                That condition is caused by worn suspension components. You probably need new control arms & bushings, tie rods, shocks/struts, and upper strut mounts. The car may also have worn front wheel bearings. The subframe bushings and rear trailing arm bushings also probably need to be replaced, but they aren't the cause of the steering wheel shake.
                Everything except upper strut mounts has been replaced last month, whole suspension, CA bushes are OEM E36 M3 3.2 ones

I can't believe that worn upper struts can cause this wheel knocks over bad roads? And I checked them, looks fine

Comment

Anybody have a picture of the nut? I believe this may be my problem as well

Edit: Also, in another thread someone said to tighten the nut by holding it still and turning the steering wheel clockwise. Can anyone verify this? What is the purpose of this nut? I couldn't find anything about it in the Bentley manual
                  Last edited by rcfanatic; 10-07-2009, 11:01 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Looked on real oem, and the largest nut in the schematics appears to be 22mm. However, I found a pic of the steering column from another thread, but still don't see this elusive 32mm nut. Can someone circle it?
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, found another pic that seems to show it pretty clearly. I guess the previous still had a piece of housing over it. So hold nut and turn steering wheel clockwise? Seems like tightening this would transfer more vibration to the steering wheel.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

If it's loose there is going to be play in the column. Which, in turn, could creat more shaking of the wheel.

Comment

What about the universal joint steering knuckle under the hood? Mine has a little play in the u joint and even tho the suspension doesn't have anything bad you can hear it when going over bumpy roads, especially dirt roads.

If you loosen that big nut on the column, will the steering shaft be able to retract to remove the under hood steering knuckle?

John

Last edited by harv; 10-15-2009, 07:05 PM.
                          The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

LOL I know its ancient but I d really like to know about this,too!
                            N.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally Posted by aaron_silva
                            It is always frustrating having a harsh ride when
                            you arent in the right mind set.

Comment

Two pairs of vice grips and a small bar clamp. What you are trying to do is put a little pressure on the steering knuckle joint to eliminate the slack in the steering column.
                              Attached Files
                              what you did to this car is like getting a supermodel naked and willing to do anything you please. now here you are faced with ths once in a lifetime opportunity and then you squander it by making her fuck you in the butt with a 24" strap on. you are a sad, silly little boy.

Comment

Working...
                              X