Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni for e30 M3

Hello,
    I'm trying to figure out//confirm what would be the codes - P/N for the front and rear shocks for a stock height M3. Also I'm not sure if there are some variants for this particular model, as heavy duty, sports, shorter, larger, different valved, etc.

M3 (E254)86-91Sport Front : 8641 1210Rear: 80 2522SP1

Front: 86-2277-SP1

Any of these codes are correct?

THANKS

Thanks for any help given
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Answer

Originally posted by diegom6 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm trying to figure out//confirm what would be the codes - P/N for the front and rear shocks for a stock height M3. Also I'm not sure if there are some variants for this particular model, as heavy duty, sports, shorter, larger, different valved, etc.

M3 (E254)86-91Sport Front : 8641 1210Rear: 80 2522SP1

Front: 86-2277-SP1

Any of these codes are correct?

THANKS

Thanks for any help given

Both of those will fit in an M3. My professional opinion is that the 1210-Sport should only be used on an M3 that is completely stock. This opinion is not a function of damping, but of the stroke designed into the strut which must have seemed like a good idea in 1988, but has now been placed in the same category of 1988 good ideas as "Caddyshack II".

Other people may have other opinions, but that is mine based on my testing.

The 2277-Sport is not externally adjustable, so there is no need to consider it.

Please do not confuse the 1201-Sport with the 1021-Sport, which is usable, but the damping is not really suitable for lowering with firmer springs.

The 2522-SP1, which is completely different than the 2522-Sport BTW, has excellent damping characteristics, and is far superior to "Mustang" shocks although it is not top adjustable.

Jay from Ground Control
    Last edited by Hellabad; 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM.
    Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
    Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
    Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Thanks for taking the time ro reply my thread Jay.

I didn't get this clearly, .- " The 2522-SP1, which is completely different than the 2522-Sport BTW " , wich of both it's the one that has excellent damping characteristics or that I should get? I was looking in your website, but seems you don't have them in stock or no longer available?

So for the front I should look for 1210-Sport and rear ( ...... ) ?

Also, note aside, what would be better for bumpy roads, twin tube or mono tube shock design? I think the twin tube Konis are hydraulic or only the 2277?

Thanks again.
      Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

:D *bump* :D

On a side note, if I go with 8641-1210Sport & 80-2522SP1 on stock coil springs, later I decide to throw a bit shorter (custom made) coil springs, about 0.5 or 3/4" of inch lower at the 4 corners, would be O.K. with these shocks for the stroke they have? I can't go that low such 1-1.5" with these roads down here.

Thanks

Comment

bump in hopes that Jay from GC will reply. or maybe somebody else?

Comment

Originally posted by m_dudey View Post
            bump in hopes that Jay from GC will reply. or maybe somebody else?
            Reply about what?

If you are referring to the question about stroke:

"would be O.K. with these shocks for the stroke they have?"

That wouldn't be a problem, but if you decide to do a coilover in the future, or anything more than just the MILDEST spring change, you are better off with alternate part numbers.

Jay
            Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
            Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
            Ground Control facebook page

Comment

What are alternate part numbers you would suggest for

Vogtland springs? (mild change)

HR Race? (little bit more drop and stiffer?)

Originally posted by Hellabad View Post
              Reply about what?

If you are referring to the question about stroke:

"would be O.K. with these shocks for the stroke they have?"

That wouldn't be a problem, but if you decide to do a coilover in the future, or anything more than just the MILDEST spring change, you are better off with alternate part numbers.

Jay

Comment

Working...
              X