So, I'm kind of lost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I'm kind of lost...

I just purchased another E30 (89 325i) and I've been out of the E30 game for quite some time now... Along with the fact I've forgotten nearly everything I "learned" a few years ago, there's a bunch of new products, or new products then have had a few seasons of real driving/racing to be tested and reviewed... Plus, I now have slightly different goals and wants since I owned my last E30... haha After tons and tons of reading, I find my self slightly overwhelmed and unable to made a decision on what to run...

The vehicle needs front control arms and shocks all the way around (imagine Cadillac) so, great time for mods. I'll be on and off daily driving the car when I don't drive the truck and I want to get back into autocross, not competitively but, just for my own weekend entertainment. I doubt that I'll ever make it out to an actual track. Stiff suspension isn't something I'm new too, my MK3 Jetta VR runs B&G coils, which are adjustable dampening and something like 415lb springs all the way around. Although I never really touched the dampening rate other then to stiffen it up when I put some wider rims on the vehicle to keep 'em from scrubbing over bumps as much...

Control arms are covered, nothing special there and I figure at nearly $300 for IE3s and nearly $350 for H&R Race, I might as well go with the GCs around the H&R race spring rates and just keep the stock perches for now...

Here's the "lost" part...
    Shocks: Billies? Konis? either one better for daily/autocross duty? Either one better suited for GC?
    CABs: Back to stock, M3 solids? I think the THR units are overkill for me
    FSM: Should I go ahead and spring for camber plates or go back with an OE mount? Camber plates really worth the extra on a DD/Autocross over a stock mount?
    RSM: Stock units good? HD rears? Something else?

I'm not going to mess with any of the rear sub frame bushings this time around but, it'll be on the list of things to do.

I really appreciate the help getting the relative "newb" back up to speed. Thanks.

It's probably more money than piecing everything together, but just buy the entire kit from GC. I have their complete kit on my car.

It included springs and adjusters for all 4 corners, Koni SA shocks for all 4 corners, Front camber plates, Rear shock mounts, All the bumpstops. It took out all the guess work. I shortened my own strut housings and went with the shortened strut inserts, but you don't necessarily have to do this.

I can tell you it was worth the money. Install was super straightforward and the quality of all the parts was excellent. I know I sound like I am swinging from GC's sack right now but I had no prior experience with coilovers and found the GC kit made everything really easy and I am 100% satisfied with my suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by AutoXinE30 View Post
      Here's the "lost" part...
      Shocks: Billies? Konis? either one better for daily/autocross duty? Either one better suited for GC?
      CABs: Back to stock, M3 solids? I think the THR units are overkill for me
      FSM: Should I go ahead and spring for camber plates or go back with an OE mount? Camber plates really worth the extra on a DD/Autocross over a stock mount?
      RSM: Stock units good? HD rears? Something else?
      Shocks: billies will work with GC but Koni's will be a better performance oriented setup. There is a marginal price difference between the two, but the trade-offs may be worth it.
      CABs: I'd go with M3 offset rubbers. Poly bushings may be a little overkill for a mainly street car.
      FSM: again, stock will be fine, but obviously adjustable plates are better for a performance oriented setup. You may also go this route if you want better wheel fitment. You can always add the plates later.
      RSM: With the higher spring rates and stiffer shocks, I would recommend going with at least HD mounts. Solid mounts would be overkill unless it's a full on track car.

Hope that will steer you in the direction you want to go. Good luck with your build and have fun!

Comment

Actually that was real helpful. I think I will stay away from the camber plates this time around. Plus I can put the bit of money saved towards some sways. As far as the m3 offset CABs I'll have to read up on em to see what they do specifically...

Is there a middle ground between HD RSMs and full solid RSMs?

Comment

If you are lowering the car more than an inch or so, expect the Billys to bottom out regularly...more or less depending on where you live and your driving style.

The top adjust rear Konis have a 12mm shaft and will not work with the 10mm stock style mounts, but are a better choice in my opinion.
          Suspension tips here...
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DRTSRFR View Post
            If you are lowering the car more than an inch or so, expect the Billys to bottom out regularly...more or less depending on where you live and your driving style.
            You're talking about Billy sports bottoming out past 1in lower right?

Originally posted by DRTSRFR View Post
            The top adjust rear Konis have a 12mm shaft and will not work with the 10mm stock style mounts, but are a better choice in my opinion.
            And when you say "better choice" do you mean Koni's being better choice or stock mount being the better choice?

What about the stock front mounts and Koni's? Does the same apply there with stock mounts not fitting the shaft?

Comment

you can have the bilsteins re-valved for the springs you plan to run. I'm not sure how much this will cost, but it is an option.

Comment

You're talking about Billy sports bottoming out past 1in lower right?
                Yep...
                Suspension tips here...
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Love how guys always say "i wanna autoX, I needz M3 CABz!" when the goal of added caster is better straight line stability...and get this: you LOSE turn in!

If you really are gonna autoX, do either billies or Koni (i would do billies, which I would never have on my fucking car if you paid me, as I do not "race" in parking lots) and some kind of coil overs, but maybe consider getting your car corner balanced instead of just going for "slammage" and "stance" like 99.9% of the knuckleheads on R3V.

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

If you couldn't be paid to run Billies why even recommend them? I'm just trying to relearn and choose the parts I purchase for my E30... The VR ended up as a stance car, the E30 will be a drive and enjoy car and take to autocross for my own personal enjoyment every so often. Not all of us want to build track beasts. There's nothing wrong with some parking lot cone killing when the closest road course is 3-4 hours away.

As far as Koni's go

Standard Koni adjustables... Would 400ish/650ish on the standards be ok for 'em? I remember reading that the rears need to be special mounts due to strut size but does this apply the front mounts as well or can stock style be used? I don't want to go camber plate just yet if I don't need too.

Custom GC Koni adjustables... Are these custom to whatever spring rate I want or is it a specific custom rate they ship out? Whats the deal with the top adjustable rear? And just to make sure I'm understanding their pricing it's $620 for the shocks plus $119 for the valving I choose or is the +$119 optional...

Comment

Originally posted by AutoXinE30 View Post
                      If you couldn't be paid to run Billies why even recommend them?
                      My car is about comfort with a sporty 'tude, IMO, the ultimate daily driver.

Billys (especially Sports, like on my wifes car) are just too aggressive for me, but there is no debate that they are a world class shock.

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Ahh, gotcha. So not horrible shocks, just stiffer then preferred. What kind of springs are on her car?

Anyone reading this know anything about the whole Mustang rear Koni deal. There's a small amount of info I could find searching. The P/N on the TCK website matches up with the P/N for a rear Koni Sport for a Mustang but, are there any differences? Modifications they make? Re-valving?

I am assuming from my reading since the top adjustable Koni's are meant for a Mustang that is the whole reason you can not use a stock mount. But since the front Koni's are actually designed for the E30 you can continue to use stock/stock style mounts.

Comment

Ok, found the mustang shock answer.

Comment

which is...
                            - skipping the E36 generation completely -

Originally posted by Stephen
                            Alot of newer cars do nothing for me

Comment

According to the posts I searched through, the mustang shock fits perfect but, the "OE" valving for the mustang is incorrect. GC and TCK re-work the shock for the E30 specifically.

Front Konis are built for the E30 specifically from Koni and use a normal FSM.

That's what I gathered from all that I read.

Comment

Working...
                              X