Springs to short for strut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Springs to short for strut?

I recently changed out the stock springs on my 84 318i for a set of 60/60 fk german springs. The springs a actually really nice. The car sits nice and low, the springs are tight, but it still rides nicely. But the front springs are much shorter than the stocks, so much so that they dont even fill out the strut when the wheels are off the ground. And they seem to be making noise over rough pavement.
    So my ques is: anyone else have this issue? I was considering welding a tab on to the strut top plate so that the spring would have something to grab on to. Or some other way of stopping the strut from fully extending. It would then only extend as far as the spring allows and stay nice and tight. Any thoughts?

thanks

Nope no issue, my IE3's are the same that's how they get that height
    "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

Originally posted by ruppcam View Post
      I recently changed out the stock springs on my 84 318i for a set of 60/60 fk german springs. The springs a actually really nice. The car sits nice and low, the springs are tight, but it still rides nicely. But the front springs are much shorter than the stocks, so much so that they dont even fill out the strut when the wheels are off the ground. And they seem to be making noise over rough pavement.
      So my ques is: anyone else have this issue? I was considering welding a tab on to the strut top plate so that the spring would have something to grab on to. Or some other way of stopping the strut from fully extending. It would then only extend as far as the spring allows and stay nice and tight. Any thoughts?

thanks
      When the weight of the car is on the springs, they will sit just fine. No need to weld anything to anything. What struts are you running? My guess is you kept the stock stuff or you're using crappy aftermarket stuff; either way, that's going to be your issue.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
      MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
      | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Yes. i kept the stock strut housing but replaced the inserts. I didnt realize that replaceing the housing was necessary. would an aftermarket housing have a different hieght??

Comment

do they bang around on you at all??

Originally posted by 5KWattson View Post
          Nope no issue, my IE3's are the same that's how they get that height

Comment

Nope as long as the lock nut holding the insert in is nice and tight you should be fine, I'm running stock housings Bilie sports and IE3's no issue at all
            "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

Your going to blow out the stock strut cartridges quickly then you will be driving on springs only. Replace the cartridges with a proper length strut made for a lowering spring.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

He said he did replace the cartridge you bandwagon jumpers.

You dont need to replace the housing at all unless it is bent or damaged in any way.

What shocks did you go with? It is normal for the more extreme lowering springs to be free when the shock is fully extended. You are fine there.
                sigpic

Comment

how much was your car lowered compared to stock

Comment

Is everyone in this thread drunk? This is completely normal. No you don't need new strut housings EVER unless damaged. There is no issue here.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

^^
                      60 millimeters, thats the kit he has.

OP if you have the right struts and everything is installed right there is nothing to worry about a lot of people have springs that low. Spring pads still in?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post

You dont need to replace the housing at all unless it is bent or damaged in any way.

What shocks did you go with? It is normal for the more extreme lowering springs to be free when the shock is fully extended. You are fine there.
                        Bandwagon jumpers? Might have mentioned that in the original post with paragraphs so it was easier to read. When i was reading it there was only one response not a follow up saying he had replaced them.

I have had FK and sold them they don't rattle around if you have Bilstein or Koni.
                        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

yeah that sounds liek t o right way togo here. If the struts had a shorter travel, I wouldnt be asking this question to begin with. thanks

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                          Your going to blow out the stock strut cartridges quickly then you will be driving on springs only. Replace the cartridges with a proper length strut made for a lowering spring.

Comment

I went with the KYB GR2 inserts. I know that somepeople hate them, but some people love them too. Not sure where i stand on the matter as of yet

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post

Comment

If my srtut mounts were shot, would they make noise? Im pretty sure that they are shot. I have the new ones, just waiting for a nice day so i can take it apart again and re-install with the new mounts.

Comment

Working...
                              X