Drop Hats.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EMC View Post
    They should work with anything that will use the stock E30 spring hats.
    This is not correct and what I was trying to explain. I'll use a picture for reference.

See how close the camber plate is to the hat versus the stock top mount? If you add more than a 5mm drop hat, you'll be hitting the hat on the camber plate. E90 hats or richard's hats would both hit the camber plate and create a space between the seat of the plate and bottom of the hat. Thus, you cannot run both GC camber plates and drop hats. You might be able to get away with a thicker camber plate such as vorshlag or something.
    -tim
    Originally posted by Jordan
    I like the stance
    -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
      This is not correct and what I was trying to explain. I'll use a picture for reference.

See how close the camber plate is to the hat versus the stock top mount? If you add more than a 5mm drop hat, you'll be hitting the hat on the camber plate. E90 hats or richard's hats would both hit the camber plate and create a space between the seat of the plate and bottom of the hat. Thus, you cannot run both GC camber plates and drop hats. You might be able to get away with a thicker camber plate such as vorshlag or something.
      Is that a stock spring hat in the picture? It looks like the stock hat won't work either, right? If the stock spring hat won't work, these definitely won't work.
      Mehh...if it's close, just add a washer in there on top of the spring hat. At some point though, you might as well not bother spending the $25 on these E90 spring hats because adding washers to clear the camber plates will reduce the drop you are getting from them.

Comment

Yep. Those are the stock hats. It would appear the GC's SpecE30 camber plate was designed with the hat and drop in mind. I don't recommend having a stack of washers between the plate and hat. There isn't much room to gain as it is.
        -tim
        Originally posted by Jordan
        I like the stance
        -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Originally posted by richardkeith97 View Post
          i guess its good and bad. mine obvi drop it more. but those do the trick and are a dif option. with my drop hats and the stock washer the drop hat is just barely touching the strut mount. if you keep the rubber spring pad in mine it will lower if 15mm. if you take it out its a little more. i'm happy with those results. i wish i had that tool so i could do that with mine to show but people who have installed them know that its just barely touching.
          well rich, if its any constallation, I'm glad I purchased a set from you.
          Since I'm keeping the stock springs for comfort sakes, I need every MM I can get in terms of lowering my car without compromising its stock characteristics. Your spring hats definitely meets my needs compared to the e90 ones since I'll still be pretty high regardless.
          gluck with everything bro.

Comment

so mine will lower an e90 also?? good to know

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
              well rich, if its any constallation, I'm glad I purchased a set from you.
              Since I'm keeping the stock springs for comfort sakes, I need every MM I can get in terms of lowering my car without compromising its stock characteristics. Your spring hats definitely meets my needs compared to the e90 ones since I'll still be pretty high regardless.
              gluck with everything bro.
              you got any pics? i've been wanting to put a stock car with drop hats on my site. i get emails about it all the time.

Comment

I'm switching from Vorschlag to Kmac camber plates, I'll let everyone know if the e90 hats fit or not.

Comment

So i didnt measure before and after but it was a noticable drop. i tried to park in the same spot but my angle was off. you get the idea. I also got some new shoes and a facelift today! I know i have mismatched panel colors but one day it will get a full respray...

Before:

After:

With new wheels and a different valence (zender):
                  1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
                  2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
                  2003 X5 3.0

Comment

You put a zender over mtI ? lolz.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                      You put a zender over mtI ? lolz.
                      The mtech valence is in terrible shape, its been all hacked up to go on a db car. the zender is in very good shape and i have a few other zender pieces in the works, should turn out nice. And its not like the mtech went anywhere, can put it back on anytime.
                      1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
                      2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
                      2003 X5 3.0

Comment

sweet man looks like a good drop.... ME NEXT!
                        Slamburglars Handbook:

5. Slamburglars don't get stuck on speed bumps, speed bumps get stuck on Slamburglars

Comment

Blam !!
                          Those new wheels produced a dramatic difference.

Lookin good with the drop.
                          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

^ makes sense!
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I'm running richards hats with UUC camber plates, they fit great but other brands may not..

070 by wonderwilley, on Flickr

Comment

Honestly I see no difference in the before and after shots in this thread. It's like a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles hair difference. Doesn't seem like it's worth the money or time to take the front suspension apart for a 0.39" drop.

Just sayin.

Matt
                                Matt

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
                                I pack my CD player with asbestos. Those mother fuckers pay dearly for stealing my shit.
                                Originally posted by kronus
                                try whacking parts of the motor with a wrench while yelling "YOU WANT SUMMA DIS? HUH?"
                                Originally posted by chadthestampede
                                This is like a reverse build thread; it starts out nice and gets shitty.

Comment

Working...
                                X