E30 Standard Ride Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Standard Ride Height

After looking at pictures/photoshoots and postsI've noticed there's a pretty big difference in ride heights for people's cars at stock,
    I have a 1988 bmw 320i 4 door, Japan import, (euro grills and plastic bumpers)
    I just went outside and measured the height from the center of my bottlecaps to the front and rear guards, and on a 195/65/14 wheel/tire I measured 375mm on the fronts and 330 on the rears.
    My suspension setup is stock, with recently (6months) new shocks, but still original springs.
    Some models seem to have huge front and rear wheel gap, my front is quite large, but my rear just sits above the fender and looks straight, no reverse rake.
    What is the standard ride height?
    Last edited by Aus E30; 04-23-2010, 05:14 AM.
    Your signature picture has been removed. Refer to the Signature and Avatar Guidelines in The Rules.

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
    I <3 dead naked girls.

I don't think there is a definitive answer for this one given all the different springs rates and heights over the years with different motors, springs heights (standard, iX, cabrio, mtech) and rates, spring pads and 20 years of sag.

If you want it lower, lower it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aus E30 View Post
      After looking at pictures/photoshoots and postsI've noticed there's a pretty big difference in ride heights for people's cars at stock,
      I have a 1988 bmw 320i 4 door, Japan import, (euro grills and plastic bumpers)
      I just went outside and measured the height from the center of my bottlecaps to the front and rear guards, and on a 195/65/14 wheel/tire I measured 375mm on the fronts and 330 on the rears.
      My suspension setup is stock, with recently (6months) new shocks, but still original springs.
      Some models seem to have huge front and rear wheel gap, my front is quite large, but my rear just sits above the fender and looks straight, no reverse rake.
      What is the standard ride height?
      for a USA 1990 325is coupe the height is:

Front: 26.5 inches from the ground to highest point on the fender
      Rear: 24.75

the springs and shocks are stock and though this is the sport variant of the other e30's, the springs and shocks remain the same in height but their rates are slightly stiffer.

if you want to lower the front just a tad without upsetting its original characteristics, you can purchase an OEM spring plate from an e90 that'll lower it .10mm or a custom one a board member here sells that lowers it 15mm. I ordered the more expensive 15mm one and it helped my car even out a lot.

edit: just noticed you drove a 320i so I'm not sure how much different your suspension system is from ours.

Comment

Working...
      X