Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 racks: let's settle it once and for all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to know. On my way back to my mechanic today anyway. I'll have him take a look
    '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
    current:
    '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
    '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynMW View Post
      Good to know. On my way back to my mechanic today anyway. I'll have him take a look
      A bent rack will usually be tight going one way, and not the other , because usually only one side of the rack is bent if nobody notices.

If it is very tight in the center, make sure that nobody got crazy and overtightened the preload on the rack bushing.
      Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
      Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
      Ground Control facebook page

Comment

I think it just needs time to break in. The rack was completely rebuilt. If after a few weeks I still have a problem I'll have it looked at
        '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
        current:
        '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
        '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
          Now I have a question. Who has a standard Z3 rack without power steering? How much is the overall turning radius effected compared to the standard E30 rack?
          Any takers? Or am I going to have to be the first to try this potential suicide?
          1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
            Any takers? Or am I going to have to be the first to try this potential suicide?
            I would like to know as well, since I've dumped the PS on my car and have no intention of ever hooking it back up. I've had several people tell me the Z3 rack is a tad twitchy, but I'm assuming that those people are running them with power steering....
            Jason

Comment

So my question is unlike any of yours.

My problem with my 95 M3 rack is that it hangs too low. It started out a good 1/2"-3/4" lower than the subframe, but now I've scraped all of that off and have worn through into the actual worm screw. So I'm getting a new rack and I need one that sits as high as the stock e30 rack but still has a quicker ratio. Does anyone have a comparison of all the possible racks? I really don't want to have to swap back to a stock rack.

Pic for reference. This is the part I'm talking about.

Byron
              Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post

My problem with my 95 M3 rack is that it hangs too low. It started out a good 1/2"-3/4" lower than the subframe, but now I've scraped all of that off and have worn through into the actual worm screw. So I'm getting a new rack and I need one that sits as high as the stock e30 rack but still has a quicker ratio. Does anyone have a comparison of all the possible racks? I really don't want to have to swap back to a stock rack.

I don't know if there's any difference between the racks size wise but holy fuck you have balls riding that low.
                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Meh it's not that bad lol. I know I never had this problem before with the stock rack and I haven't hear of any other slammed guys complaining about it so there must be a difference between those at least.

Edit: Found a pic from when I was still M42, look how high up the stock rack was

Byron
                  Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post

I had a 96 m3 rack in my previous E30 and it wasnt the best fit, much like yours. On my current E30 I have a Z3 rack and it fits much better, ill see if I can snap a picture for you.

Comment

Originally posted by hurttech View Post
                      I had a 96 m3 rack in my previous E30 and it wasnt the best fit, much like yours. On my current E30 I have a Z3 rack and it fits much better, ill see if I can snap a picture for you.
                      That would be great if you could please.
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

Bump, how are e46 M3 ratios? I have the chance to get one for a steal.
                        Byron
                        Leichtbau

Comment

I would love to switch to an E36 rack. Anyone in Jersey that can do the job? PM with referrals, recommendations and comments.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparJ View Post
                            I would like to know as well, since I've dumped the PS on my car and have no intention of ever hooking it back up. I've had several people tell me the Z3 rack is a tad twitchy, but I'm assuming that those people are running them with power steering....
                            I have z3 and no ps. Its a little lively on the freeway but not annoying, and perfectly manageable without the ps. You can still do low speed maneuvers with one hand if you want. Steering feel and response with a poly guibo is amazing.

Comment

Hey guys got a question for you, Theres a 98 3?? ti with some rear end damage at a local pick n pull, would that particular steering rack fit? I assume its just a regular e36 rack.

Thanks

Comment

Great info. Just purchased a rack. The regular E30 rack is awful IMo. Cant wait to add this
                                2002 SVT Focus for track and DD.
                                1986 BMW 325E also for track and DD.

Comment

Working...
                                X