Help!!-Suspension Tech Sway Bars Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!-Suspension Tech Sway Bars Install

I bought a set of used Suspension Techniques sway bars and hardware on here a few months ago and now looking for some install help. First pic is what I have for the front bar hardware. I've spent the last couple hours trying to figure out where these pieces go to install the front bar. Obviously, the plates are reinforcements and fit between the mounts and the front subframe. I think the large M10 bolts replace the back front subframe bolt (towards the rear of the car) and secure the front of the sway mount. The two smaller bolts I believe are longer versions of the bolts (and nuts) that accomodate the spacer and bolt in the rear of the front sway mount. I can't figure out where the large, thick washers go though. The holes are too small to fit the M10 bolts, so figuring they are a spacer for the rear bolts, but not sure exactly where they fit.

The second pic is of the complete ST kit, and you'll notice the endlinks shown that I don't have. Where would these install? I'm assuming the OEM links would work with the front bar, but not positive. I need advice from someone who's installed these bars before.

I just reread this and realize it's confusing as hell, but hopefully someone will understand and save my life.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sway Bar Hardware.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	7216881

Click image for larger version

Name:	ST_swaybar_LRG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	7216882

The thick washers go at one end of where the front sway bar bushings mount to make up the difference in the mounting surface. It should be obvious when you have the old sway off. The OE end lines can be used on the front, but for the rear you'll have to have the ST links (or similar).

You will have to weld reinforcements (the triangular pieces above) on the sway link pickup points on the trailing arms. If you don't the tabs will bend.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I found this somewhere when I was doing my ST sway install. (I think spec e30, but regardless).

The "retaining washer" is the large circular washer that spaces the bracket from the subframe.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
      '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
      '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
      '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Hey, thanks guys! I thought that's the way it went together, but wasn't quite certain. Jim, I do have the rear endlinks assembled as the PO removed them from his car, so that's pretty straightforward. edit-have the weld-in reinforcing plates from TMS also.

My other question is, I bought a pair of the IE rear bar mounts that bolt thru the trunk floor, but have heard the rear mounts are a bitch to get in as they are right at the bend of the bar. Are the IE mounts gonna work?

Comment

The IE mounts are superior and should work with the ST bars. The only hassle with installing the IE mounts is drilling the holes through the trunk floor.

What I do is to grind a point on a piece of rod (or a long bolt) that fits the through hole in the mount. Bolt the mount up to the car and use the pointed rod and a hammer to mark the trunk floor from the bottom. Then lay off the location for the blind hole in the mount from that mark on the trunk floor and drill over sized holes.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Great, thanks for the tip Jim.

Comment

Hey sorry I'm a little late to this party. But I'm refreshing the front suspension on my e30 and managed to strip the threads off the long bolts on the left of the picture. Does anyone have that bolts measurements or part number so I can order more. Please and Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X