Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coilover kit with Bilsteins or Full Ground control setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LivingLegend06 View Post
    Hds are meant for stock height springs, they will bottom excessively when you lower your car. Bilstein sports are meant for lowered cars but some people running coilovers are still having issues with them bottoming out.
    I am tucking 195/55 R14 with Bilstein Sports. And I have yet to bottom out, then again I asked GC for the stiffest rates they offer.
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
      Bottoming out the shock and slamming your skidplate into the ground are two different things. With 2" of clearance, nothign is going to stop you from grounding the skidplate, but stiffer springs would help.
      You are right.

After going on a drive to test out the suspension going over various road conditions and dips at 40-60mph the suspension soaked them all up.

The issue I have is with ground clearance as going down a crappy alley made the skidplate kiss the ground.
      Last edited by MC Hammered; 09-07-2010, 09:10 PM.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

FWIW im running the GC coilover conversion kit with 450lb front and 650lb rear. Using bilstein sports and tucking rear and a little front. Never bottom out unless I slam a pothole on these shitty roads.
        I would rather have their full setup but i already had the shocks and did it for pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by UDelaware30 View Post
          FWIW im running the GC coilover conversion kit with 450lb front and 650lb rear. Using bilstein sports and tucking rear and a little front. Never bottom out unless I slam a pothole on these shitty roads.
          I would rather have their full setup but i already had the shocks and did it for pretty cheap.
          What all did you need to buy/fab besides the shocks and the conversion kit

Comment

I ordered from Bimmerworld and talked to them about what I needed. They told me not to overspring the shocks, since they were not custom valved Bilsteins.

They recommended the 350/475 setup, and it has been perfect. If I go all the way down on the front, it does bottom out though.
            E30- 1989 325is

Comment

so my tires on when i got the rims were 205 40 16....
              which would be better 215 45 16 all around?
              i like thicker tires and saw a few people running 225 50 16 in the rear and 215 45 16 in the front.
              Originally posted by blunttech
              r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

Originally posted by Killacortes View Post
                so my tires on when i got the rims were 205 40 16....
                which would be better 215 45 16 all around?
                i like thicker tires and saw a few people running 225 50 16 in the rear and 215 45 16 in the front.
                Your wheel width and offset will help determine what you can run for a tire.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

runnin 16x8 et0
                  i know et0 is a horrible idea and stick out a little but i have fender roller on standby
                  Originally posted by blunttech
                  r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

Originally posted by Killacortes View Post
                    runnin 16x8 et0
                    i know et0 is a horrible idea and stick out a little but i have fender roller on standby
                    ask this question in the wheel fitment thread.

Save up longer and get the full coilover suspension. You'll be happier that you did, since it includes everything you need and since you are essentially starting from scratch any way you go. Patience is key.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                    X