Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference in OE Front Strut Mount Height.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference in OE Front Strut Mount Height.

I'm a bit irritated at the moment.

I bought a new set of OE (boge) front strut mounts and some E90 top plates. After uninstalling one side, I've found the following:

1) The OE BMW top mounts are shorter than the Boge replacements. (less drop)

2) The E90 hats have a seat ring on the bottom, increasing the total mount height (less effective strut travel)

3) The stock E30 hats have an angled seat for the mount to sit in.

Pictures.

Strut mount side by side (obvious height difference)

Top hat side by side (where the two overlap shows the most difference between the two at any congruent point)

New w/ new. Old w/ old

swapped.

Now I don't know what to do. I don't want to raise the car and lose strut travel. I also don't want to continue running the old top mounts as the rubber is cracking and i'm afraid it will break while i'm driving. Anyone know what company sells stock top mounts that are more similar to the OE BMW stuff?
    Last edited by Philo; 11-06-2010, 03:48 PM.
    -tim
    Originally posted by Jordan
    I like the stance
    -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Maybe try contacting Blunt? He always hooks it up.
    Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

Yeah. I bought the parts from Patrick at BMAparts, and I've always had good dealings with him. I'm waiting for his response on the issue monday. Hopefully he has something else in stock that is more comparable to the OEM mounts. If not I might just go the extra distance and get GC plates.
      -tim
      I like the stance

Comment

Lol, those are just regular blown out strut mounts. The new ones are how they are supposed to look.

edit: i found this on ebay.de. They might work well with your new strut mounts: http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-3er-E30-316-3...item519006495e

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
          Lol, those are just regular blown out strut mounts. The new ones are how they are supposed to look.]
          lol, you are mistaken. I have both of the mounts in front of me. There is an extra 10mm of rubber on the bottom of the new one. The bearing is seated that 10mm lower as well.

Also the dust cap will not hold in place on the new set. The opening is much bigger.
          -tim
          I like the stance

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
            lol, you are mistaken. I have both of the mounts in front of me. There is an extra 10mm of rubber on the bottom of the new one. The bearing is seated that 10mm lower as well.
            No, I'm not. Your old strut mounts are worn out and sagging. They used to look like your new ones do. Trust me dude, I replace this shit all the time for customers.

Comment

It sounds pretty legit. I would go with lifeiskaos. 20 yearold shot front mounts probably do look like that.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
                No, I'm not. Your old strut mounts are worn out and sagging. They used to look like your new ones do. Trust me dude, I replace this shit all the time for customers.
                Well if that is true, then my old mounts sagged about 15mm. Patrick @ BMA did some searching around. Sachs/boge only makes one type of front strut mount for these cars now. They use to make two, one with a 28.5mm opening, and one with a 32mm opening.

All mounts sold now are the 32mm opening, so you'll need larger dust caps when upgrading.

PN/ 31311139453
                -tim
                I like the stance

Comment

Damn that kinda sucks man, I don't see why they'd add so much height.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
                    Yeah. I bought the parts from Patrick at BMAparts, and I've always had good dealings with him. I'm waiting for his response on the issue monday. Hopefully he has something else in stock that is more comparable to the OEM mounts. If not I might just go the extra distance and get GC plates.
                    I'm sure Blunt would have several different brands of mounts including OEM. You can't go wrong with GC though.
                    Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
                      Damn that kinda sucks man, I don't see why they'd add so much height.
                      Yep. And I'd also like to point out that the E90 hats eliminate about 3-5mm of strut travel on top of the travel lost to the deeper hat. There is seating ring about 3-5mm thick on the bottom of the hat. It's just something to think about if you start bottoming out.

Reminds me of the problem JGood was having after his installation.
                      -tim
                      I like the stance

Comment

thread revival.

philo, do you have pics of the strut mount looking straight down from the strut tower? I think I have the same ones as you but I want to verify. my original oem ones that are shorter have a flat top/convex compared to the newer ones that are more rounded and concave. also, if the mounts are indeed taller than the oem ones then it could be a blessing since you now won't have any rubbing issues against the strut tower
                        Last edited by bmwstephen; 02-18-2011, 12:45 AM.

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                          X