Damn threaded collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn threaded collar

Umm, yea...I searched, found a few threads that I thought would be helpful.

This fucker is NOT coming off. Nothing's rusted...it's just not coming off... I don't know how any of you use a monkey wrench on this - mine's just round, and has 4 notches at each 90 degree angle. I tried using a vice grip, a huge ass pliers, and I've also followed a suggestion in one of the threads I found that suggested to mount the strut assembly to a tire to keep it from moving. That works, but I still can't get the thing to budge.

I've coated it in PB Blaster. I haven't yet tried a torch, since it's soaking with penetrating oil, lol.

So, basically - any other suggestions on how to get this bitch out? AND - will i need a new one? I really cannot afford to wait a week for this part to show up...but if I have to, I guess I can..... :?
    - Sean Hayes

Torch it, thats what i did.

It would be wise to use a new one, but the old one will most likely still be usable unless u damage the treads. You'll just have an even harder time when ur taking it off again.

Comment

I can't damage the threads.

I think I'll try torching it now.

I'll see if I can get some new ones. Not sure though.

Anyone know what part number it is? The ETK has a bunch of stuff that could be it, and I can't figure out which one it is.
      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Worked. Torched, and just pushed...pushed like hell.

But it worked. Pretty satisfying when you are putting everything into it and at the same time keeping everything from moving on you. lol

For people that have future problems, the best way to go about doing it:

Mount the strut assembly to a tire - then kneel on the tire as you take a huge ass pliers and try to break the collar loose. If you can't get it, spray on PB Blaster and torch it, let it cool down, do that a couple times. Eventually it'll break loose.

Phew...now to get my subframe bushings out! :shock:
        - Sean Hayes

Comment

I know you got yours off already.

But for others when I did mine I couldn't get mine off so I used this.
          Pipe Wrench.

Worked Great too.

325i LSDed, 17x8.5 et15 BBS CH's, Bilstein Group N Suspension

Comment

Originally posted by sschin
            I know you got yours off already.

But for others when I did mine I couldn't get mine off so I used this.
            Pipe Wrench.

Worked Great too.

That's what I used. One of them was stuck on real good, so I gave the collar a hit from the air hammer all around, and then put a cheater bar on the pip wrench. The strut was secured in a big table vice. Took me 5 hours to pull the shocks out of the parts car, pull my struts out, reinstall and do the rear. I love air tools :D

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Working...
            X