upper rear strut mount keeps breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upper rear strut mount keeps breaking

Concerning the rear drivers side upper strut mount.

When I first bought my car the upper strut mount was blown through, meaning the strut wasn't connected to the car. I replaced it with a new mount off pelican parts right when I bought the car. That one lasted about 2 months. So I replaced it with another one just to have it blow out last night. Basically the rubber is breaking away from the metal mount that is bolted to the strut tower with two nuts.. The metal stays in place but the rubber just rips through.. Why would the same strut mount keep blowing out? Is it just because the shock is blown?

Here is the one I bought that blew out twice now. First I bought a cheaper version of the one in the link.. and than moved to this one:

thanks.
    -84 325e 158k
    -06 suzuki drz 400sm

You need a new shock
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

using this with my blown struts lol,no problem what so eva.

Comment

Does the car have a stock suspension? The cause of premature failure of a rear shock mount is excessive force being directed at the bottom of the mount or improper assembly. When using OE RSM's you need all of the parts shown in http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...27&hg=33&fg=45
        In particular part number 6. Excessive force on the RSM can result from lowering, especially if the springs are stiff enough for that ride height.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          Does the car have a stock suspension? The cause of premature failure of a rear shock mount is excessive force being directed at the bottom of the mount or improper assembly. When using OE RSM's you need all of the parts shown in http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...27&hg=33&fg=45
          In particular part number 6. Excessive force on the RSM can result from lowering, especially if the springs are stiff enough for that ride height.
          This, or the shock is partially seized.
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

op just buy Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts,it come with everything you'll need.

Comment

yes the car has stock suspension. It is very likely the rear shock is seized... The car is not lowered at all, its a donk.
              -84 325e 158k
              -06 suzuki drz 400sm

Comment

I'm going to bet something isn't installed correctly. Did you use the two washers on each side of the strut mount?

Number 6 and 12.

-tim
                Originally posted by Jordan
                I like the stance
                -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Arent those built into the mount? I guess I didn't install them... I wonder why the other side hasn't blown out because I don't think it has those two washers either.
                  -84 325e 158k
                  -06 suzuki drz 400sm

Comment

If the washers aren't on each side of the shock mount it will quickly fail.

If neither side has the washers, I'd say that the shock on the side that isn't blowing out has completely failed.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Where do I find these washers? I cant seem to locate them on Pelican parts website:

-84 325e 158k
                      -06 suzuki drz 400sm

Comment

i'm betting its the incorrect installation of top and bottom washers. even most mechanics today can't seem to get these right (happened on my car). remember when installing these washers above and below the rubber mount, you have to install them in away that opposes the rubber. in otherwords, the washers convex area cannot conform/cup the rubber otherwise it defeats the purpose of its function so you must reverse the washer to concave against the rubber portion of the mount.

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
                          I'm going to bet something isn't installed correctly. Did you use the two washers on each side of the strut mount?

Number 6 and 12.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...27&hg=33&fg=45
                          does number six somewhat seat in the shock dust cover? because I think I have that one just not the top one installed.
                          -84 325e 158k
                          -06 suzuki drz 400sm

Comment

Originally posted by kdfwagen View Post
                            does number six somewhat seat in the shock dust cover? because I think I have that one just not the top one installed.
                            yes it does.

Comment

Working...
                            X