Z3 Steering Rack... why no feedback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 Steering Rack... why no feedback?

Okay so I recently just got done installing a rebuilt 2000 Z3 steering rack(linear) and it is butter. If I wanted, it would only take one finger to turn the wheel. I also replaced my CA Bushings with Ertalon ones via Lencas Povilas(awesome), IE urethane steering coupling, replaced control arms, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, oem sway links, and hubs. Power steering is obviously working since it is so easy to turn.

I am, however, concerned. I am getting little to no forced feedback from the steering wheel when making a turn. When I turn, it's almost like I have to push back to center. no clearance issues lock to lock. I get plenty of feedback from bumps, etc., but there's no 'whipback' or counter steer from the steering wheel on its own. at best it needs a little help. Is this standard with a linear rack or is there something else at play here?

-Brandon

Originally posted by Ryan...
    It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

I would start by checking your toe settings. If you have zero toe or slight toe-out then your front tires will not be generating any aligning moments. and could give it a feel like that.

Comment

^well that's not totally it.

Assume you are aligned and everything is good in that area....the CA bushing will have pushed your wheel forward, this is called caster(pushing it forward removed caster - assuming these are offset bushing, that what they do). So you now have less caster. Think of the front wheel on a shoping cart(they are called "casters" BTW). When you push the cart, even if the wheel is sideways, the wheels will automatically return to center all on their own. That's what having a ton of caster does. So...same with your e30. You've removed alot of the caster, and now it won't snap back to center on it's own.

Wait - did I mess that up? Is it negative or positive caster? Err...doesn't matter. You've made your e30 LESS grocery cart like.

It's a weird feeling - like you f-ed something up. You'll get use to it.

As far as that rack - hopefully it's has some feel to it. Spinning with one finger kinda makes it seem like it's over powered.
      Last edited by george graves; 05-05-2011, 07:52 PM.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Well, I actually used center ca bushings. They're not offset. What you're saying does make alot of sense though. I lubed the shit out of them but is it possible not lubing them enough could cause this?

It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Naw - don't worry about the lube - that's more so that you can fit the parts into one another. Did you get an alignment like Sagaris asked?

Comment

okay, so apparently there is a nut at the bottom of the rack the can adjust tension... I thought this was a drain plug, lol. I'm guessing this may be my issue? I feel like a dunce.

Alignment was done by me at buddy's shop today. Everything is within spec

Comment

Good point about the caster GG. Although I asked for the printout when I had my alignment done last. I have the M3 Offset CAB's and was running just shy of 10 degrees of caster on both fronts, which was at the upper limit of the alignment specs that shop had in its database.

Let us know if the pre-tensioner does the trick.
              Last edited by Sagaris; 05-05-2011, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon12V View Post
                okay, so apparently there is a nut at the bottom of the rack the can adjust tension... I
                That's really interesting - and I want to look into that more cause I know nothing about it. But I don't think that's your problem.

Link us to details about the CA bushings?

Comment

From the Valvoline website:

Tighten Up

While it is recommended that service procedures be followed, the general procedure for rack and pinion preload adjustment is universal. Inspecting the boots, tie rods, and the steering rack for excessive wear is a safe bet when it comes time to adjust the steering rack. Some rack-and-pinion steering systems are manual, but most are of the power-assisted variety. If power steering fluid is leaking from the boots or pinion housing, the seals have likely failed. As specialized tools and skills are required to restore these seals, outright replacement of the steering rack is the best option.

If all is well then adjusting rack and pinion preload is a snap.
                  The key point is to never over-tighten the assembly. Excessive preload will cause rapid wear and can result in dangerous binding. Any tight spots in the steering travel indicate that the preload is too great. Turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock before beginning the procedure to get a feel for free travel. Since most vehicles spend their time traveling in a mostly straight line, turn the wheel slightly off center before adjustment in order to get the rack out of the highest wear area. If excessive slack cannot be removed by adjusting preload, the steering rack or tie rod ends will likely need replacement.

Comment

Hmm the write makes sense but is a little vague. I will try to more details on this. I.E. adjust while car is off, clockwise or counter, etc.

George, he's actually selling on here. Here's a link to his FS thread:

I ordered these from him for 177 shipped. Only part that sucked is he is across the pond so it took about 3 1/2 weeks to arrive.

Comment

Yea, those aren't offset. I'm going to let someone else help out - I'm over my head.

Comment

Offset: http://store.vacmotorsports.com/bmw-...rce=googlebase

Did you take it to Northwest Frame or somewhere else? Aaron and fam have done so many BMWs in there, they'd know a ton... plus Zionsville Autosport is attached / in the same building who do these conversion so I assume it wouldn't be the first time...

Comment

I went to superior auto in Carmel. Known the owner, Joe, for a few years. He used to be a BMW dealership Master Tech in Germany for 15+ years before coming stateside. everything checked out alright but I'm gonna go back up there tomorrow. I think something else is going on aside from this nut bc the car doesn't force itself out of a turn. Sounds like my toe went wack somehow.

Comment

If your bushes are offset and they've been fitted the other way around, then thats your problem (which i doubt you'd do) or go and check your toe setting because my Alpina had the same issue, the steering wouldn't go back to centre on its own.

Was.
                            They call me the frog

- E30 Alpina C2 2.7
                            - E30 Alpina C2 2.5
                            - E28 M 528I 3.5 (300HP)
                            - E36 M3 S50 3.2 (Euro)

Comment

a stated before, my bushings are centered. I foun the issue though. I retained my old tie rod locking sleeves from the prior steering rack and they are fucked. They didn't lock into place and my inner rod slowly pushed the outer outward(creating massive toe out). I switched over to a couple of locking nuts instead of sleeves and am at the alignmen shop right now. I will post result upon leaving. Thanks for the help everybody. This was a relatively easy problem to diagnose after getting back under the car. It really boggles my mind how the sleeves weren't tight enough bc the e30 and Z3 rack have nearly the same sized rod diameter. Perhaps they were just worn out but they seemed to have plenty of bite.

Comment

Working...
                              X