Ground Control Coilovers - Taking forever! :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Control Coilovers - Taking forever! :(

So, I am getting some GC coilivers for my car. I have really only heard good things about GC and a lot of people suggested I use them. Anyways, April 14th I ordered them with GC and sent the stock housings into GC to be modified. Over the phone I selected everything that I wanted down to each piece and then was told that once my housings arrived, it would be a week turnaround. Well, it has been over 3 weeks and I received an email today from them saying that they would be shipping the coilovers on May 24th or 25th.

Apparently everything is done and they are just waiting for the rear shocks to get in from Koni. So, it will be 6 weeks instead of the one I was quoted. I'm just kinda pissed, but understand that there is very little they can do.
    However, they did try to help out because they know that the car is for autox. They suggested they send me everything except for the rear shocks and just send me some koni oranges for the meantime. However, I am getting 850# rear springs and if I put on some koni oranges my track control will be fucking terrible so I said no. I'm surprised they suggested it, but happy they are trying to do something.

Anyways, I'm just kinda pissed at the situation and feel like ranting now that I found out it will be another 3 weeks minimum. I have missed some autox races already and will now miss more. I bought the car solely for autox, so this sucks.
    Sorry for whining :p

1989 325i Alpine White
    69 STX

Delivery of Knoni SA shocks have been slow for at least a year. I had to wait almost three months for a set. A bit iof patience will pay off in the long run.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

backorders suck. should of gotten Motons!

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        Delivery of Knoni SA shocks have been slow for at least a year. I had to wait almost three months for a set. A bit iof patience will pay off in the long run.
        I thought I was! I just have my stupid truck to drive places now. I miss my car!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
        should of gotten Motons!
        I am not made of money :p

1989 325i Alpine White
        69 STX

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
          backorders suck. should of gotten Motons!
          Motons are on a 5 month backorder, maybe more.
          Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
          Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
          Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Should have just had them send the coilover system to you so they could just drop ship the shocks straight from koni. Might save a little time.

Originally posted by Ryan...
            It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMiniS View Post
              So, I am getting some GC coilivers for my car. I have really only heard good things about GC and a lot of people suggested I use them. Anyways, April 14th I ordered them with GC and sent the stock housings into GC to be modified.
              The struts arrived at Ground Control on April 22. ( a little over two weeks ago) In that time, your struts were disassembled, cleaned, sandblasted and then shortened.

After shortening they were reinforced, and had M3 sway bar tabs welded on.

After this, they were sent out for powdercoating.

After they returned, they have been assembled with custom strut inserts, camber/caster plates, coilover springs and are ready to bolt onto the car.

Over the phone I selected everything that I wanted down to each piece and then was told that once my housings arrived, it would be a week turnaround. Well, it has been over 3 weeks and I received an email today from them saying that they would be shipping the coilovers on May 24th or 25th.
              Fortunately, that was the worst case scenario, and it turns out to be not nearly as bad as you were told.

Apparently everything is done and they are just waiting for the rear shocks to get in from Koni. So, it will be 6 weeks instead of the one I was quoted.
              The Koni shocks are late in arriving through US customs. But we didnt get your struts you sent until 10 days later, so it would have taken more than a week anyway.

I'm just kinda pissed, but understand that there is very little they can do.
              Very true. I complain and complain, but the European work ethic is quite unresponsive.

However, they did try to help out because they know that the car is for autox. They suggested they send me everything except for the rear shocks and just send me some koni oranges for the meantime. However, I am getting 850# rear springs and if I put on some koni oranges my track control will be fucking terrible so I said no. I'm surprised they suggested it, but happy they are trying to do something.

Anyways, I'm just kinda pissed at the situation and feel like ranting now that I found out it will be another 3 weeks minimum. I have missed some autox races already and will now miss more. I bought the car solely for autox, so this sucks.
              Sorry for whining :p
              Here is the good news: Nobody at Ground Control was sure about this, but I had a gut feeling that we would be running out of the specially valved Koni rear shocks before the boat arrived. So I had requested a small amount to be shipped by airplane.

TWO OF THESE SHOCKS ARE FOR YOU!!!

I sent your other stuff out today, and you can get started installing your fronts. We had it all ready just in case you wanted the loaner rear konis.

You will have the rear shocks in a few days, and they would have been bolted on last of all anyways.

Here is a sneak preview of your stuff, and call Don or Jay if you have need anything else.

Thanks, Jay
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Hellabad; 05-10-2011, 12:26 PM.
              Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
              Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
              Ground Control facebook page

Comment

And GC delivers again! You guys are the best :p
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
                  And GC delivers again! You guys are the best :p
                  x100000

Originally posted by Hellabad View Post
                  But we didnt get your struts you sent until 10 days later, so it would have taken more than a week anyway.
                  Very interesting. I paid extra for 2nd day shipping because there was a chance that they would be done and back to me the day before a race. I wonder what happened.

Originally posted by Hellabad View Post

I sent your other stuff out today, and you can get started installing your fronts. We had it all ready just in case you wanted the loaner rear konis.

You will have the rear shocks in a few days, and they would have been bolted on last of all anyways.

Here is a sneak preview of your stuff, and call Don or Jay if you have need anything else.

Thanks, Jay
                  I appreciate it so much. You all have been attentive to my questions and concerns the entire time, and I appreciate it a lot. Thank you so much for doing what you have.

1989 325i Alpine White
                  69 STX

Comment

Working...
                  X