Front Konis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Konis

I'm about to gut my front suspension and replace EVERYTHING :!: I have Bilsteins up front right now :? , but will be switching to Konis because I think they'll work better with the G-C spring rates. I'm running 350 lb springs up front right now, but may be raising the rate to 450-500 in the future :twisted: , depending on how it matches up with my rear suspension.

Question 1:
    Will the normal Sport Konis work with those spring rates, or would the G-C tuned cardridges be necessary :?:

Question 2:
    What is involved in modifying the strut tube to install these cartridges :?: I remember something about cutting down the tube to make them shorter. :?
    EDIT: I mean for the G-C modified cartridges. ;)

Question 3:
    Do you like my excessive use of emoticons :?:
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

I do not know about G/C installs :(, but with regular race springs and konis, you do not have to modify the strut in anyway to fit the koni. :)

There's some emoticon love.
    The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

I recommend getting the GC-valved Konis. I just put in brand new 1210 Koni SAs to replace my worn ones, and they still feel way too soft on compression. I'm swapping to GC ones immediately, just waiting for my new ERS springs to come in. With 450-500 rate, you will definately want the stiffer valving.

I'm not sure exactly how much of the strut tube to cut off, I'll let one of the more experienced guys tell you. Don't want to spread misinfo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
        I'm not sure exactly how much of the strut tube to cut off, I'll let one of the more experienced guys tell you. Don't want to spread misinfo.
        Ah, so just completely ignore my post. I didn't know if the G/C install was different regarding shock fittament.
        The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Originally posted by hamann318is
          Originally posted by Mystikal
          Ah, so just completely ignore my post. I didn't know if the G/C install was different regarding shock fittament.
          The GC Konis are significantly shorter; I know a friend of mine who used them with H&R Sports had to cut some pipe to use as a spacer (it couldn't reach out the top of the strut tube). Not many guys here use the GC Konis Beej, so you may get a better answer from someone at GC (yeah, sometimes they're actually useful on the phone!).

Comment

Aight. Thanks, Mystikal. I'll most likely be going with the G-C ones, they're only $14 more a piece and I really need to get my spring perches cut off anyway....I never bothered to convert them originally. I need to call G-C and order some of the strut tube collars anyway. I know what you mean about those guys on the phone, not the friendliest group of guys. :roll: I imagine they get a lot of dumbasses calling though wanting to know how low they can slam their ride, yo. 8)

That's aight, hamann,...still feelin' the emoticon love. ;)
            -Brandon
            '86 325es S50
            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

The GC konis are 4 inches shorter than the regular konis. I installed them along with 450 front 650 rear barrel springs this summer. I have been very impressed with the setup so far. I am running the IE big sway bar up front and no rear bar. With the shorter strut inserts you have the option of shortening the front strut tube to increase strut travel.
              You need to cut all but about 1/4 inch off of the spring perches. Some people recommend welding on the D shaped tab that ground control includes onto the modified strut tube. I did not do this and have had no problems.

hope this helps

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick325is
                The GC konis are 4 inches shorter than the regular konis. I installed them along with 450 front 650 rear barrel springs this summer. I have been very impressed with the setup so far. I am running the IE big sway bar up front and no rear bar. With the shorter strut inserts you have the option of shortening the front strut tube to increase strut travel.
                You need to cut all but about 1/4 inch off of the spring perches. Some people recommend welding on the D shaped tab that ground control includes onto the modified strut tube. I did not do this and have had no problems.

hope this helps

Nick
                I went ahead and ordered some the same day you posted that. I just have to get my strut tubes off of my car to send to them. I'm stoked.
                -Brandon
                '86 325es S50
                '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Working...
                X