clunking rear suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clunking rear suspension

at the track last weekend, I had a very pronounced clunking from the right rear when I was in hard transition from right to left turn (in a chicane, the noise occurred when weight settled to the left).

All looks normal at first glance - shock mounts are OK, sway bar mounts look OK. Where else should I look? Control arms? Sway bar mounts way up inside? I'm kind of at a loss. All seems to be working fine.

suspension is still the same as in the sig (H&R sports, Bil sports, IE sways)
    1985 325e, 74k miles (S52 w/ OBD1, Bistein Sports, H&R Sports, IE sways, 3.23 LSD, TD 15x7/Star Specs, Euro bumper conversion)
    1998 M3 (4dr, 5sp, TCKline) (sold)
    2002 325i (sold)
    2009 X5 3.0si

axle...

Comment

Subframe or trailing arm bushings, differential bushing, half shafts, sway bar bushings, sway links, or differential all come readily to mind.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

tighten the bolts through your trailing arm bushings, see if that helps.

Comment

When bilstein sports blow out they begin to bottom out and produce a clunking noise under compression. It's from the bump stop slapping the bottom of the piston. I would visually check the strut for any signs of fluid loss. If you have the strut out of the car, compress it, then compress a known good one (usually the other side is fine), and compare the dampering. If there is a noticeable difference, i'd say it is dead.

Happened to me two weeks ago.
          -tim
          Originally posted by Jordan
          I like the stance
          -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Thanks guys. Diff is new in the car over the past 3 mos (3.23 LSD, fewer miles than the car). Sway links looked OK I think, and the bilsteins are < 2 years old and pretty much drive to/from the track and around town a little so I doubt (hope at least) it's them. There didn't seem to be any vibration or power loss so I doubt it's an axle/half-shaft issue - right?

I'll check the other stuff you all mention once I can get under the car this weekend (or sometime soon). Some of the bushings are OE still I think so there is the possibility of issues there.

This will all go nicely w/ the new radiator hose I now have to replace - @#$% thing came unmoored from the block and got shaved down by the radiator. Had to duct tape and zip tie it to make it through the last 2 sessions and get home last weekend.
            1985 325e, 74k miles (S52 w/ OBD1, Bistein Sports, H&R Sports, IE sways, 3.23 LSD, TD 15x7/Star Specs, Euro bumper conversion)
            2002 325i (sold)
            2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

My bilsteins were two years old when the rear blew. . . .it's worth looking at.
              -tim
              Originally posted by Jordan
              I like the stance
              -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Ok - here's an update: replaced rear shock mounts w ground control units (old ones looked ok actually), and the noise continues. It's a loud snap that occurs when the right side is unloaded quickly. It sounds like it's right under the seat.

I've checked trailing arm cnxn and bushings and they look ok. Subframe bushings look ok too (from what I can see and feel). Sway bar links and cnxn is ok.

Another oddity is that the right rear camber is now slightly more negative than the left. Not sure of exact measurement, but lining up a level square w the bottom of the tire and I have ~ 1/4 -1/2" more space at the top of the tire to get from the level to the tire when compared w the left.

Ideas?
                2002 325i (sold)
                2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

Oh, and I had both shocks out for rsm replacement and they seem fine too.
                  2002 325i (sold)
                  2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

Working...
                  X