replacing steering rack, any suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing steering rack, any suggestions

I have a leaking steering rack in my 91 318ic. Whats a good replacement?

1.9L Z3 Rack!

Comment

Originally posted by bubbajan21 View Post
      1.9L Z3 Rack!
      Great for track work but evidently they are a handful on the open highway at speed during a long trip.

Comment

1.9L Z3 Rack!
        Yes.

Originally posted by ssaylor View Post
        Great for track work but evidently they are a handful on the open highway at speed during a long trip.
        If you're one of those people that fucks with your stereo, phone, and dick while driving, then yes. They can be "twitchy". But if you pay attention to actually driving, it's not even noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Bowers View Post
          Yes.

If you're one of those people that fucks with your stereo, phone, and dick while driving, then yes. They can be "twitchy". But if you pay attention to actually driving, it's not even noticeable.

haha, soo true
          sigpic

Comment

how does a regular e36 rack compare..

Comment

Yes.

The stock rack really isn't too bad when all the suspension bits are fresh and snug, but I am still on the lookout for a Z3 rack. I am not a dick-toucher.

Comment

Yes.

I touch my dick and I don't have any problems. I would definitely get an E36 steering rack at the least. Anything's better than the E30 rack
                -Alex

Comment

1.9L Z3 Rack!
                  Anybody Know a website/business that accepts the e30 rack for the core replacement?!?

Comment

e46 rack!

more plentiful than z3, and similar ratio. NEWER also, and pnp's into a e36; same install as e36 rack for e30.
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

any perticular e46, or they're all the same?

Comment

Originally posted by bukaki_bob View Post
                        any perticular e46, or they're all the same?
                        Couple different units avail, the normal late model ones w sport package are quick like z3 iirc

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

i also want to do a steering rack swap..ive heard the e36 rack is nice!

but i want to have A LOT more steering angle. anyone know how to go about doing this. its mainly to keep angles in a drift aka be able to save my ass where I otherwise might not be able to. I saw someone in greenbelt, md who had craaaazy wheel turn but i forgot how he did it
                          m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
                          build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Comment

Originally posted by ssaylor View Post
                            What is wrong with the front suspension of said vehicle with Z3 steering rack??? I have never had those problems with a Z3 steering rack in my own vehicle on street/track/wangan, nor has any owner of Z3 I know.

If you have very sloppy ball joints, top hats, bushings anything high speed will be insanely scary. If the car is "slammzored" super track star style and you are on the street, with control arms parallel to the ground (because its COOL) then the car blowing through all travel and going static on bump steer would be the most epic fail concern.

Also, if afraid of high speed then steering rack ratio is the least of your fears.

I have taken a Z3 steering rack 170mph+++ OVER. Its not a handfull at all, it's just fine if your suspension is 100%. Many e46 normal sedans/coupes are shipped by BMW to the USA with a 14.6:1 (2.6 lock to lock) rack that is even more "quick" than the Z3 14.7 or whatever to 1 and 2.7 lock unit.

Never has a Stock z3 steering rack felt like you need a steering damper to be stable, These are rear wheel drive cars so try to use the steering wheel less; no need to ham fist it like a front wheel drive or AWD brutus.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING View Post
                            i also want to do a steering rack swap..ive heard the e36 rack is nice!

but i want to have A LOT more steering angle. anyone know how to go about doing this. its mainly to keep angles in a drift aka be able to save my ass where I otherwise might not be able to. I saw someone in greenbelt, md who had craaaazy wheel turn but i forgot how he did it

for drifting angle, you would want a E36 328i rack, it has more range/angle etc as the E36 3.2 M rack is the same unit with the side to side motion limited for ("less" lock to lock, "quicker" ratio on same mechanical setup.)

Some cars are this way, EVO seems to have a very limited but "quick numerical ratio" 2.7 lock to lock rack. My Evolution 8 was utter POOP to do slow turns with in parking lots, 3 point turns became 4-5. Pretty lame IMO. a similar vintage Lancer OZ rally can turn around happily and do the same turn in 2-3 points because its rack simply turns the wheels more angle.
                            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 07-22-2011, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X