another shaking problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another shaking problem

just got my car aligned, new rims (not hub centric) balanced. now when I am going between 45-60 the steering wheel shakes alot, the car does not seem to track right or left when doing this. but if i were to turn while it does it, it goes away. I drove the car 400 noticed a slight leak in my front left, so i added some Fix-a-flat.

I've read where it could be a bad wheel bearing, tie rod or steering shaft bushing...

Could bad CAB's, the fix-a-flat on one side, or the steering column bushing cause this?

I doubt its the wheel bearings because they were brand new when i got the struts, and the tie rods were just replaced.

In my experience it is not possible to have wheels that are not hubcentric balanced off the car not cause out of balance vibrations. Such wheels have to be balanced on the car and re-balanced each time they are removed.

That said, wear in the shocks, control arms, control arm bushings, or tie rods will exagerate the affect of even a slight balance problem.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Do you have hub rings or hub-centric spacers since your new wheels are not hub-centric? I'd be inclined to say that's your problem if the answer is no to either of those questions.

If not, listen to Jim. He knows all.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
      '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
      '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
      '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

I am going to go to a local tire store and see if they have spacers that match the stock hub to the hub size of the rims, I'll give that a try and if not I might just get another set if rims. Thanks for the info guys! that really helps! I'll keep you posted

Comment

you dont need spacers, just hub locator rings. you can get them online too

Comment

Hub locator rings?? Never heard of them

Comment

Hubcentric spacers or rings will help stop the shacking and vibration.

Comment

Any specific company I can get them from??

Comment

I believe there is a member on here by the name of e30rob and he has nice high quality hubcentric spacers. Oh h&r has them as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X