Strut Shaft too short? please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strut Shaft too short? please help

I am currently overhauling the front suspension of my 87 BMW 325e, and am replacing the struts with a set of Boge turbo struts that i bought here on the forums. When i took out the old struts, and replaced them with the boge item, i noticed that the strut shaft was way to short. Theres no way i can use these, unless someone knows something i dont? thanks
    GetRealWeird.com
    For all your daily entertainment needs

I went ahead and ordered brand new Bilstein Sports, so the question is irrelevant unless there useful and someone else could use them?
    GetRealWeird.com

Comment

Not sure what you mean but to short. If they came of an early eta or 318I then thew would be to narrow.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

I hope you don't mean the spring was too long so you couldn't get the strut bearing and nut on. The spring needs to be compressed.

Comment

Sounds like you weren't compressing the springs enough.
          Good luck on the new struts!

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

This was a lot shorter then one would expect to make up. It was a mock up but enough to know it wasn't gonna work. Came half way up the spring at best. Supposedly came of a 325is
            GetRealWeird.com

Comment

Originally posted by e30newbie1212 View Post
              This was a lot shorter then one would expect to make up. It was a mock up but enough to know it wasn't gonna work. Came half way up the spring at best. Supposedly came of a 325is

325is, and the older design Bilstein, Koni and Boge replacements for them are intentionally "droop limited". It is a somewhat old school way of doing things.

Jay from GC
              Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
              Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
              Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Well at least from what I understand I could sell them to recoup some offn the bilstein sport purchase :) thanks for the helpn everything. I'm slowly learning, the hard way from time to time.
                GetRealWeird.com

Comment

Working...
                X