Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground Control Rear Shock Mounts - don't fit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Control Rear Shock Mounts - don't fit!

Installing new GC rear shock mounts on my '85 e30 - problem is that they don't fully seat. What I mean by this is that the reinforced plate does not sit flush with the mounting area of the body. When I look at it in the trunk, one side (the "outboard" side) will sit about 1/4 inch higher due to the slant.

Anyone else have this problem? Looks like the only real solution is to do some grinding on the reinforced mounting plate. So either this is a design flaw or there is something different about earlier e30's.
    1985 325e, 74k miles (S52 w/ OBD1, Bistein Sports, H&R Sports, IE sways, 3.23 LSD, TD 15x7/Star Specs, Euro bumper conversion)
    1998 M3 (4dr, 5sp, TCKline) (sold)
    2002 325i (sold)
    2009 X5 3.0si

That's how they are. Same problem with the irelands too. I just torqued them down and let them bend in to the chasis.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

edit
      Last edited by SkiFree; 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

My rogue engineering mounts sit flush.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I did a bit of grinding, now sits perfectly

G.Verelli

Comment

Are you sure you don't have them turned 180* around?
            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
            4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
              Are you sure you don't have them turned 180* around?

Exactly. The GC mount is much larger, and has an inside and outside. It only fits one way, but I think you figured that out.

Even then, the sheet metal on all these cars is not consistent, and the seam sealer can be gooped on differently from car to car. The alternative to having it fit perfect on every car is to make a very small mount, and GC long ago decided not to do that.

The Rogue Engineering is much much smaller (exactly the same as the very first generation GC mounts that Ben Liaw bought 10 years ago in fact) and is too small to be sensitive to the distortions of the stock sheetemtal. That is why RE bolt on easily, but GC decided to upgrade the size anyway.

Also, don''t forget with RE mounts on an e30 you have to cut that Z3 bracket with a hacksaw (or pay the $10 extra).

As always, if you have questions, you can email me at ground-control.com

Jay from GC
              Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
              Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
              Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Just to set this straight, G-C was very prompt and helpful in figuring this out when I called them today. Turns out I was sent the wrong reinforcement plate, so it wouldn't fit. Mark at G-C contacted bimmerworld (where I bought these originally) and has arranged to send me the right plate.
                1985 325e, 74k miles (S52 w/ OBD1, Bistein Sports, H&R Sports, IE sways, 3.23 LSD, TD 15x7/Star Specs, Euro bumper conversion)
                2002 325i (sold)
                2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

Same issue with Verts. My solution just grind it a bit. Dont leave it installed crooked
                  I need your obd1 parts! Harness intake ecu etc.

E30 Your Daily Money Pit

Comment

Got the new hardware from bimmerworld/ground control, and installed it all today. To be clear, the correct e30 mounts are c-shaped, while e36/46 mounts cover 360 degrees.

Here's my question: in re-assembling the shocks and mounting hardware, I did not use the large washer that sits between the top of the plastic shock sleeve and the lower poly bushing. G-C instructions seemed to indicate not to use them, and they make the stack height tall such that it's hard (impossible) to get the compression nut on top of the shock. Is this a critical part?

Also, the whole assembly is pretty squeaky too - normal for these mounts?
                    2002 325i (sold)
                    2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

"plastic shock sleeve"? ...as in Dustcover?

Please post a pic.
                      Suspension tips here...
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

sorry Mark - I don't have a pic. I didn't think to take one while I was putting it together.

The washer I left out is the pretty thick one that is slightly dome-shaped. And I am referencing the dust cover. It seemed to have a washer built in and now the busing just rests on that rather than the dome washer I left out.
                        2002 325i (sold)
                        2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

The Billy washer will be fine.

If it's the actual mount bushings which are squeaking they're too tight. Only tighten them enough so the top washer can't be spun by hand.
                          Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GCMARK View Post
                            The Billy washer will be fine.

Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                            Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                            Ground Control facebook page

Comment

^^Yes...I have to work with him all day...
                              Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X