Why you don't run race plates on a street car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why you don't run race plates on a street car

The tiny needle bearings turn to mush after a short period of time. Glad I did pay for them.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

That is common on Bilsteins. Bilsteins need to be assembled correctly, or else the top of the strut will crush the needles. The weight of the car alone will not hurt the bearings for years.

Those look older than a "short period of time"? The race (on the right) should be hard shiny chrome that again lasts for many years, and it looks corroded.

If those are GC camber/caster plates, I can help you diagnose your problem if you send me more pics (there are important bearing pieces missing in that picture)
    Last edited by Hellabad; 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM.
    Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
    Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
    Ground Control facebook page

Comment

That's a washer on the right. I think they are IE camber plates.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellabad View Post
        That is common on Bilsteins. Bilsteins need to be assembled correctly, or else the top of the strut will crush the needles. The weight of the car alone will not hurt the bearings for years.
        could you please explain how to assemble correctly?wanna make sure i did this right ;)

i do have koni's btw and i do have gc camber caster plates for coils.
        Originally posted by Lof8
        4 doors allow you to transport more whores.
        therefore, their value is much greater.
        Down to: 89 aw2 332i/4/5 , 70 Sahara 2002

Comment

Been running GC Spec plates for well over 2 years now on my DD without a single issue.
          1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Unearth078 View Post
            could you please explain how to assemble correctly?wanna make sure i did this right ;)

i do have koni's btw and i do have gc camber caster plates for coils.

Do not have to worry with Koni. This is simply because the way a Bilstein is made, there is a shoulder at the top that can "pinch" the bearing and wear it out. the koni doesn't have a shoulder to worry about.

Originally posted by M-technik-3
            That's a washer on the right. I think they are IE camber plates.
            A needle bearing assembly, or preferably a "Torrington bearing" assembly actually consists of 3 pieces. An upper race (very hard shiny metal), a needle bearing assembly, and then another race.

The races are like bread on a bologna sandwich, and the needles are the bologna.

The correct races are very hard alloy steel, are hard chromed and polished. They cost MORE than the needles. Substituting washers instead of races to save money just tears up the needles because they skid rather than roll. This is apparent in your pic by looking closely at the needles.

You can buy a new assembly by measuring the inside and outside diameter, and crossing over to MSC industrial or a local bearing supply.
            Attached Files
            Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
            Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.

Comment

Thanks, I'll pm you my plate photos and you can identify them. If they are GC do you have a trade in program?

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                Thanks, I'll pm you my plate photos and you can identify them. If they are GC do you have a trade in program?

Ground Control camber/caster plates have a lifetime warranty if they have been assembled correctly.
                Ground Control Gallery

Comment

Update:

OP does not have GC camber/caster plates or bearings. I have advised him via PM on what I think they might be.

Jay from GC
                  Ground Control Gallery

Comment

Working...
                  X