Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering

My power rack is leaking and I feel its time to look at replacing it.

I found a manual rack for 99.00 shipped. I know I could get a power rack for a bit more, or even spend the extra and do an e36 rack, but not sure what I want.

The car is just a driver - never sees a track.

I'm very seriously considering the manual rack to drop some of the weight and potential problems down the line with the power system.

What I want to know is does anyone have any thoughts on the subject about something I may be forgetting?

If I do the manual rack I assume the tie rods are the same as the power rack?

On a daily driver I'd retain the power steering. There isn't much to the power steering system (rack, pump, reservoir & hoses) so there isn't much than can go wrong. Parking and driving slowly is so much less effort with power steering.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I'm not really worried about having power steering. I'm used to manual steering from driving my 77 MGB and various other vehicles.

Main concern right now is cost. So I'm not sure if its really worth the extra $70 for a new stock power steering rack plus the other $25 for the new reservoir and filter.

Comment

The only thing that will make it worth it is if its a real nonpowered rack.
        sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
        The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

aftermarket manual rack? i have never seen or heard of an e30 manual rack before.
          Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
            The only thing that will make it worth it is if its a real nonpowered rack.
            Seller says it is out of a euro 323 or 320 or something along those lines. I can't remember. But the claim is that it is a real manual rack.

Comment

Than it has a different steering ratio than a powered rack. Would amke the car fun to drive. Again IF its real.
              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Found a stock type refurbed unit for $65. Can't beat that with a stick.

Comment

Working...
                X