Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does one inspect the rack and pinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does one inspect the rack and pinion?

So, there are a half million threads here on how to replace it.
    There are a couple here on how to fix it.
    At least one demonstrating busted as @#$%.

But I can't find a single thread here or out on the internet for how to tell if everything is functioning within "spec".
    Tie Rods and Control Arms have under 30K on them, CABs are brand new urethane. Jacking the front end up and grabbing the wheel produces no movement.

However, when in the car I feel like the wheel might have too much play in the middle. After finding the video above, I'm going to check that steering coupler asap. But what else is a wear item or inspection item in there?

And no, I don't want to be told it's time to just put a Z3 rack in there, even if I'd like to :)

Thanks everyone!
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Nothing aye? I suppose that doesn't surprise me too much. I guess I just wait until it's obviously busted, and then replace it with one that I hope is better.

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Mine is leaking power steering fluid. Mechanic wants to replace it because of that.. uh i don't think so.. Otherwise, i don't know - i'm looking into it too.

Comment

Originally posted by schuldt View Post
        Mine is leaking power steering fluid. Mechanic wants to replace it because of that.. uh i don't think so.. Otherwise, i don't know - i'm looking into it too.
        Good luck figuring that out! Leaving fluid does show that something is wrong.

For me, I've been running without power steering fluid and pump for years and years. I'm looking for something that tells me how much play is acceptable.

sigpic

Comment

Black Magic.
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Do your wheels/steering wheel shake at any speed?
            Are there any virbrations from the front wheels when you drive?

Also, if your steering rack is OEM e30 and its leaking from the actual unit - then your mechanic is right - it "needs" to be replaced. "Needs" mean you cannot fix it without overhauling the entire thing because there is no replaceable inner tie rod. However, you can drive with it - its functionality may deteriorate over time, but it will still work.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteD View Post
              ...because there is no replaceable inner tie rod.

uhhh?

Comment

Working...
              X