Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Q: Grade 8.8 bolt enough for rear suspension bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ant_e30 View Post

Hellabad - as i say my bolts are definately stamped 8.8. My rear shock absorbers are red which may not be factory, so perhaps someone changed my bolts somewhere along the line, but my car is dead stock and 2 older owners so it seems odd. I guess you have observed for yourself in doing installs that the bolts are stamped 10.9 on the head?

The OEM replacement bolt is marked 8.8, but we have an e30 here that looks stock, and the bolts are marked 10.9 on the head.
    Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
    Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
    Ground Control facebook page

Comment

For lower shock bolt I'd go with 10.9 as it is in less than ideal single shear loading.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

I am 100% certain my shock bolts are original on my 89 and they are 8.8. That being said i would not hesitate to use 10.9 but would not use a 12.9 in single shear as mentioned above.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

This is a great thread and I'm glad the question was asked. I bought grade 8.8 bolts that were 5mm longer than stock to use with my AKG tie downs.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
          '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
          '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
          '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Working...
          X